1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will You Vote?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Nov 2, 2006.

?

Do you plan to vote in next week's elections?

1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    80.8%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    19.2%
  1. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I'm undecided on if I will or not, but the reason I wouldn't is because I have no roots where I currently live and have no plans to set any down. What difference does it make to me who the state representative for this area is going to be if I don't plan on being around for anything he/she ever does?

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Someone has to live there. Get off your ass and vote.

Besides, almost no one ever plans to "put down roots" where they end up doing so.

Roots happen.

3. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

i will vote. i enjoy it. my wife and i were discussing the seemingly reprehensible candidates (i'm in northern virginia - the rest of virginia hopes northern virginia someday becomes its own state :) ) and the senate race is ugly - george allen or james webb. and i'm not thrilled with my democratic choice (jim moran) for the u.s. house. i may go independent/libertarian on some but ultimately i have to go with the reprehensible candidate i can stomach the most or at least comes down my side of the fence on issues important to me.

but i do like my choice for school board.

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I'll vote. I haven't missed an election since I turned 18, even getting absentee ballots sent to me in college.

Also, there's something kind of patriotic about walking down to the polling place and voting. I wouldn't miss it.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Always.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

BTW, 21, good thread topic.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I always vote. I brought my daughter with me last year when she was 6 weeks old and 3 months old to vote in the primary and general election. If there is a ballot initiative which I don't care about, I skip it. If there is a race in which I don't like any of the major candidates, I usually pick a non-nutjob thrid party.

8. I vote in every election, even municipal ones. If you don't vote, don't complain.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

This year, I voted in the Democratic primary in my polling place in Manhattan. Granted, there was only one really constested race (State AG). But, I was really surprised that when I voted at 6:30 p.m. (with my daughter), I was only the 8th person to vote in my precinct.

10. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I have always voted (for the last 40 years or so) but won't make it this year. Getting out of the house, getting in and out of a car and walking into the school with my walker is becoming more difficult. Still, I would go if I cared who won the senate race between Bob Menendez (a Hudson County crook) and Tom Kean Jr. But I don't care which of the two win, and I won't complain when the results are in. Let those who have strong feelings about those candidates vote, I'll watch.

11. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Wow, I agree with Fenian on something! :)

I haven't missed an election in the 14 years I've been eligible to vote. I love exercising my right to vote and take great pride in encouraging non-political friends to pay attention during election season and to get out and vote, too.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Exactly.

Draft saved Draft deleted