1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will You Vote?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Nov 2, 2006.

?

Do you plan to vote in next week's elections?

1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    80.8%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    19.2%
  1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I voted Green in Illinois for governor. I so despise each candidate, I don't care how my "wasted vote" affects the outcome.

I usually don't feel this way, but voting between Rod Blagojevich and Judy Baar Topinka is choose your poison of the worst order.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Like you and Bob Cook, I did the same. Just didn't like either one, so why not the Green Party? Easy to vote here, too.

2:26-2:30 p.m. -- Walk to the high school, which is literally right down the street.
    2:30-2:35 p.m. -- Pick up the ballots, fill in bubbles with a black marker, slip the ballots into the machine.
    2:35-2:44 p.m. -- Talk to the state rep who knocked on my door Sunday afternoon. He was in the school lobby, close to the school gym where we voted, smiling with a Starbucks cup in hand. He's probably win easily.
    2:44-2:48 p.m. -- Walk home.

That's one great advantage to living in a town whose listed population is 1,813 and commuting to the capital city. I don't know whether I'll ever encounter any sort of wait to vote here.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Well, it's 62 to 18 on here for will vote. Safe to say this site isn't representative of the country as a whole? Don't think you'll see a 77% turnout anywhere, unless the words American Idol are involved.

And I've done the electronic ballot the past couple times, and I'd be pissed to have to go back to anything else--it's quicker and easier, it's pretty much idiot proof, and despite opinions to the contrary is far less subject to corruption.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

We had all-electronic voting here in Cali (causing more problems for the middle-aged women than the elderly, at least while I was in there.) ...

Of course, I was only in the building for about 15 minutes. Had 3 people in front of me, but the wait went quickly. ... I had written down all my voting choices beforehand, so I didn't need to read through anything while I was under the curtain. Just touch the screen, and go.

At the end, it gives you a printout version of your ballot so you can confirm your choices. Then you submit your vote, take your voting card back to the table, and get your "I Voted Electronically" sticker.

I never want to vote another way again. Electronic is the way to go.

5. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Wife and I went this morning, saw we'd have to wait 30 minutes, said screw it and decided to come back after work when it'll be dead.

We just waited 40 minutes, behind a non-stop-talking yahoo, no less. But we did our video poker voting and moved on ... without a sticker.

I find it hard to believe today's voting system is an improvement over the way the guys in powdered wigs did it in the 1780's, but that's just me.

6. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Anyone in Missouri-- Election officials cannot ask for a photo ID anymore. A new law was passed a few months ago that required the photo ID's but the Missouri Supreme Court ruled it was unconstituional. A story in the Jeff City News Tribune (although, I'm sure written by the AP) said Robin Carnahan tried to vote absentee in St. Louis and was asked for a photo ID. She told the election official that she was Secretary of State and that they couldn't ask for photo ID, but the election official told her that she was required to show it anyway.

That could be bad in some counties if the local officials are requiring IDs and they can't.

Draft saved Draft deleted