1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will You Vote?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Nov 2, 2006.

?

Do you plan to vote in next week's elections?

1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    80.8%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    19.2%
  1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

A non-partisan political thread.

Talked to someone today who said she's not voting because all the candidates in the local race were equally reprehensible.

With all the political chatter around here, just wondering....do you plan to vote? If not, why?

2. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

I absolutely plan to vote.
    I don't like a lot of the candidates, either, but as an football coach once told me before a draft, no two people are equal. If the choice isn't obvious, you have to dig a little deeper and find what makes one better than the other. I'm willing to do that and play my part in the process.

3. I like your coach.
    I always vote. I drag my kids -- the eligible ones -- to vote.
    In November of 1942, my father was on a transport in the north Atlantic and there was a submarine alert.
    That's only one of the reasons why.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I would vote if I had either a) changed my voter registration to my current state of residency, or b) thought ahead enough to have gotten an absentee ballot for the state I am registered in.

I didn't do either, but I don't know that I would vote in my current state with the political ads that have been thrown out there. I would in my home state, as I am a big supporter of one of the candidates and have hate for the other.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I always vote. Besides being the right thing (as FB points out) it's fun. The worst thing that happens in the voting booth is youy give the finger to someone you can't stand. In 36 years of voting, I've never been handed a ballot without at least one contest giving me that opportunity.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I can't stand my choices in the voting booth in this election. And my vote will be meaningless, because the major races where I am are decided already. But I will vote anyhow. I consider it a responsibility. I can always just vote for the libertarian I know nothing about. It's a wasted vote, in a sense, but at least I am exercising my right. I feel as if I need to exercise the right to show my appreciation for it and all that it gives us as Americans.

7. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

I already did (absentee)

8. There is no such thing as a wasted vote.
    Every vote is a committment to governing ourselves, whether we're good at it or not.
    Elections turn me into a civics teacher, I know. Plus, the bake sales are always good.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I have yet to change my driver's license to my new state and so I can't, but otherwise I would.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Wasted in the sense that the Democratic primary here decides every local election (and Republicans rarely carry the state in the presidential race), and I am a registered independent, so I can't vote in the "real" election (nor do I want to).

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Ballot was in more than a month ago, thanks to early voting.

Just walked up to the county auditor's office, picked one up, took my time and handed it back.

Beautiful thing.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Definitely voting. I'm in a state with a close Senate race, so you're darn tootin' I am.

Draft saved Draft deleted