1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will you ever attend another live event?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Splendid Splinter, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Yes I will go to events, but as others have noted, the 20K threshold is pushing the bounds of what I attend in person, anyway.

2. Hooray4snail

Hooray4snail Active Member

Outdoors, most likely. Indoors, it's going to be a while before I feel comfortable. Haven't been to a restaurant (inside or outside, other than to pick up takeout) since March. And I don't expect I will any time soon.

FileNotFound likes this.
  3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Yes. And there will be such pent-up demand that I imagine a cover band could play a minor-league ballpark and sell it out. Most people are social creatures and want to be around others.

Driftwood likes this.
  4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Let me add to my “no mask” comment.

If there are only 10 to 20 reported cases each day in my state, and they are people who are not getting the vaccine, then without a doubt no mask.

If we continue to have people hospitalized who have gotten the vaccine and are dying then I rethink this.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I have tickets to a Jason Isbell concert at Red Rocks. When it happens, whenever that is, I’m going.

Otherwise, I think I’m just going to be more cautious in general at venues, stadiums, etc. I expect I will live the rest of my life as a medium-level germaphobe, as opposed to my pre-2020 mode of mostly not thinking about it. I’ll go, but I’m going to be the guy carrying a pocket pack of disinfecting wipes and wiping down the seats and not sharing my beer. And I will likely mask up in tight spaces, at least in the winter, for the foreseeable future.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Absolutely, yes. Mask? Depends on several factors, as others have noted. The idea of wearing masks indoors during the winter is not a bad one, considering how much it cuts down on the transmission of common colds/flu.

Splendid Splinter likes this.
  7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

1000 percent yes. With no mask as the preference.

Agree with Cosmo about masks inside during the winter. With all the COVID restrictions, the flu season, at least here in CO, has been quite minimal. Plus, a big uptick in those getting flu shots.

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Yes and fuck yes.

Mask depends on guidelines. Preferably not.

I want ballgames, Broadway, concerts and restaurants as soon as it’s safe.

wicked likes this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Maybe? Probably? I missed some big concerts this year. I want to go them.

My wife and I were just talking about how much money we've saved during the pandemic by not eating out for lunch, not making impulse purchases because we are wandering around a store, etc. We plan to make those changes permanent.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What's the timeline here?

2021? Nope.

2022? Maybe.

11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Not a big fan of crowds. It will probably be 2022, 2023 before I go to another big event. I prefer smaller venues for most everything. I figure the masks are here to stay, which is fine with me.

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Attend a live event ever? Sure. Soon? Depends on how quickly vaccinations happen. I am (rightfully) well down the batting order, so I'm probably looking at Q3 2021 before it's my turn. The mask will depend on how widespread vaccines are by then and whether I'm sick with anything else, but I'm happy waiting until masks are deemed unnecessary.

The local leagues I frequent are doing very well for themselves if they crack four figures in attendance, so it's not like I make a habit of attending events with 20k+ people. The only one that appeals to me at the moment is the Hong Kong Sevens, and even then it'd be pushing the limits of my tolerance for being surrounded by drunks.

Draft saved Draft deleted