1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will You Be Getting A Flu Shot?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Sep 22, 2009.

?

Will You Be Getting A Flu Shot?

1. Yes

46.2%
  2. No

53.8%
  1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Got real sick the last time I got a flu shot.

I'll take my chances.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm not planning to.

Only time I've ever had one is when my father was still working as an R.N.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'm hoping to get one this year. I've gotten them the last I don't know how many years and haven't gotten the flu. A trend that I hope continues.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Anybody who's into and out of various high school gyms all winter should consider it.

Anybody who has kids should consider it.

Anybody who's in a newsroom with people who are into and out of various high school gyms all winter should consider it. Anybody who's in a newsroom with people who have kids should consider it.

Seriously, unless you're going to lock yourself in the basement all winter man up and get it done.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Yes, but only because I have a newborn.

6. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Nope. Haven't gotten one yet and have still managed to avoid the flu.

I travel every December for most of the month. Last year I went from a week in 80-something temps with pouring rain and humidity to 24 hours in 2 feet of (wet) snow to dry and 75 for a week. Back to a foot of wet snow for four days then three days of dry *cold* and light dry snow. Stayed healthy -- drank plenty of water, wore the appropriate clothing, ate well and kept up with my workouts, even on the road.

For me, cheaper, less painful and more manageable than a flu shot. And does the trick just fine.

But to each their own. My mother works at a preschool and has to get one every year. Inevitably, she still gets the flu, just a smaller version of what she used to, before the shot. My father never got the flu or gets sick for that matter, got the shot a couple years ago at my mother's urging and was sick for three days. He won't be getting it this year.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That the way I was. Never got sick, except the years I got the shot.

This year, I figure I have sick days, they get wasted if I don't use them...so I'll take my chances.

8. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

My immune system has gone to complete shit over the past year, and I'm sure that's partly to blame after four years of college and alcohol. I can't recall the last time I've had the flu, but I recently got strep throat, and that sucked.

I'll get it, just as a precautionary measure.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I'm considering it. I don't think I've a bout of influenza since my teens, but some science reading this summer got me thinking heavily about the benefits of herd immunity.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Never gotten one, doubt I ever will. It's not about "manning up." I think I've had the flu once, maybe. As far as I can remember anyway. Why bother with it?

Doesn't the flu shot basically just give you a low dose of the strain that's going to go around that year and make you sick (not as bad as if you got it on your own) so your body can build up an immunity to it? Is that correct or am I way out in left field on this line of thinking?

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Got one last week, during my annual checkup. The doctor asked me if I wanted one. Having had a bad case of the flu last year that kicked my ass, I had no problem taking one.

And it was the least painful shot I've ever had. I barely felt it.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Same here.

Draft saved Draft deleted