1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will we see another player/manager or player/coach?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Got into a sports argument earlier this year with a reader (who grew up in Boston AT THAT TIME, nonetheless) who could not fathom that Bill Russell played and coached the Celtics simultaneously. The reader's Southie was definitely showing.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

As long as Mike Brown is in the NBA, his top scorer is the "player coach".

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There are a couple guys in the NBA, MLB and NFL who probably fall into the (might as well be coach, because they do so much of it) but I can't imagine any of those guys ever being willing to become a player-coach.

Manning is the most obvious example, but I can't even imagine having a player-coach in the NFL. I can see how it would be done in the NBA and MLB, but just can't imagine why anyone would agree to do it.

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I asked this earlier in the thread and thought you might know the answer: Was Dave Cowens the last player-head coach in the NBA?

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

I knew this was coming when I opened this thread and it still made me laugh.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I can't remember if it was in response to talk about this maybe happening again or if a writer just explored the hypothetical, but a few years ago Lou Piniella was asked about this and said it would be impossible today simply because of the media obligations facing the manager. The way he sketched it out, there were days where he had damn near two hours of interviews, radio shows and "other" to attend to. Maybe MLB is more extreme than the others on a daily basis, but I think that problem would hold true across all the sports.

7. Mizzougrad96

The average NFL coach does not have a ton of media obligations. I would say the average coach has four press conferences a week, usually on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and postgame. Then, most have a TV show and a radio show. That's really not that much if you think about it.

I think the bigger issue would be film breakdown and roster moves. Even if a coach doesn't have final say over the roster, most have a pretty good amount of imput.

It will never happen in the NFL because it doesn't make sense. You could do it in baseball or basketball. If media demands are that much of an issue, you just have to start saying no to some things.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Russell was named coach because Red Auerbach was seeking ways to keep his superstar from getting bored with the game (and of course, because Auerbach knew Russell could do it). I could see an NBA franchise doing the same in a similar case -- especially to prevent losing a super free agent.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But why would an NBA player want the grief? As it stands now, franchise players call the shots and get to blame someone else when everything goes wrong.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

True. They don't fire the players. That costs too much and and messes up the cap situation.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Seriously, I do think he would be the top candidate today to do that.

Then again, his window isn't very long, because his skills are going to diminish pretty soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Mizzougrad96

The only way this ever happens again in either the NBA or MLB is if you have a superstar who wants to do it and is practically begging to do it.

Is there any specific player that anyone could see wanting to do it? I sure as hell can't think of anyone.

Draft saved Draft deleted