1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will we see another player/manager or player/coach?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Very interesting.

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I see your point, Joe. But to use Konerko as an example since Meatie Pie brought him up, I don't know if Konerko is batting 056 against anyone and most folks know he's pretty clutch.
    Additionally, I think Konerko would pinch hit for himself if his skills had sank to that level.

But this is just one hypothetical based on the character of one individual.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's possible it would happen again in baseball. The Frank Robinson deal was a thing apart. First, he was the first African American manager, and WOW did baseball want that to happen. Second, he was always going to be a DH, and in the first years of the DH, the feeling inside baseball was that the DH was a part-time job anyway.
    The obvious thing is, no team would make a player a player-manager unless said player was really good. That goes back to the dead ball era.
    Nobody ever talks about a pitcher-manager, yet that makes so much more sense in some ways. He's off four of every five games after all.

4. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Konerko is batting just .136 against Greinke, with 17 strikeouts.
    Of course, I don't ever envision a situation that Greinke is still in the game in the above scenario. Not that I envision a player/manager being put in the above situation either. Bit the point being, 1. Every player has a weakness, or someone who has their number. 2. They all have egos. and 3. There are going to be these little situations come up that to be a manager you have to think like a manager, and take the player part out of it. It's tough enough for managers to make the right call in a lot of those situations.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Bucky Harris might have been the worst starter on the 1924 Senators and was never a particularly good player.

6. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I believe it has happened more recently in soccer, but there too it has fallen out of use

7. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I have said in the past that I think Jeter could do a better job managing the Yankees than Girardi.

8. RecoveringDesker

RecoveringDesker Active Member

MVP andManager of the Year

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Prior to Rose, I believe the last one had been F. Robby a decade earlier. Before that, I think it was Lou Boudreau in the late 40s. So it wasn't like player-managers had been gradually dying out -- they've been almost extinct for 50 years.

I don't think there's any allegations Rose played himself in order to dump games to win bets -- that would have been too obvious.

The main thing was he kept playing his own washed-up has-been ass in order to get over the finish line to get Cobb's record.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Don Kessinger of the White Sox was the last player-manager in the AL, for the White Sox in 78-79.

11. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

Jimmy Spencer with the Broncos was it. He had the dual role of player/assistant DB coach in 2003, and was solely a position coach for three years thereafter before Mike Shanahan grew weary of him, as he eventually does with all defensive coaches.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought there were a couple others. Joe Torre, now that I think of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted