1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will USA hoops bring back gold?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by silentbob, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

A power forward or center. Post player.

Given the international game, we don't need traditional post players. But we really could use someone like Nowitzki ... a big man who can shoot. Carmelo is the closest we have, and he has been really great in international competition so far.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

personally, I hope they don't. I like the wailing and gnashing of teeth. Oh. And Coach K is in charge too.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I'd like to see them win gold, because besides Kobe, there are a lot of young players on this team who I like.

That said, I always thought the 1992 team should have been it. "We made our point, now you know we have asserted superiority. Now no more autographs: from now on, you get our college kids again."

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

C'mon, Piotr, you know that can't be.
    We have to win. We have to dominate. We are the greatest coountry in the world. We have to show those Euro-trash players who WE are.
    We can not fail in a meaningless basketball tournament. It is a national embarrassment when we do.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If they can defend, they will win.

Scoring For the USA will not be a problem, but if a team like Greece hangs 75-80 points on this team, with the USA's speed and size (comparative) and strength, then our guys had no idea how to play a tight man defense.

If they buy into strong team defense, then they should not lose.

No Celtics?

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

7. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Garnett would have been a good addition to the team. I'm assuming he turned them down or something. Good size, a great defender and scorer. If he's on the team, I categorically give them the gold. The roster as it is: They're the favorite, but by no means a lock.

This lineup:
    G Bryant
    G Paul
    F LeBron
    F Garnett
    C Howard

Beats this lineup:
    G Bryant
    G Paul
    F LeBron
    F Carmelo
    C Howard

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

And if the win every game by 30 you'll still find something to bitch and rant about.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Of course. Nobody ever said I don't "bitch the right way."

:D :D

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Jesus, some of those guys in both lineups really need to figure out how to pass the ball. Not that they cannot pass, it's will they pass.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

If you bitched the right way, you'd understand it wasn't Larry's fault that those guys played so badly.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Are you saying we shouldn't be winning by 40? At least against most teams?

Draft saved Draft deleted