1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Urban Meyer jump to the NFL?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm going to maintain that with the exceptions of guys like Paterno and Bowden that it is impossible to reach that level anymore in college football. Spurrier had it until he left Florida and hasn't had it since. Saban moves around too much to get it. Meyer has only been a household name for a few seasons. One of the best coaches of the last decade (Tuberville) was run off after one bad season.

In less than a month, Meyer will have more titles than Spurrier, but will never be considered to be on Spurrier's level.

When Spurrier left Florida, he said he did it in part because he got sick of the expectations. His last season at Florida, they were 10-2 and won the Orange Bowl and were ranked in the top five and fans didn't think it was enough.

If Meyer wins again this year, 10-2 will never be good enough. Every season he doesn't win a national title will be considered a failure. Hell, if Meyer loses to OU, the fans will be pissed.

If he goes to the NFL and turns a team like Jacksonville or Cleveland into a consistent winner, he will look like a better coach than all of the others who failed while trying to go to the NFL.

The only way Meyer will ever be looked at as better than Spurrier is if he wins in the NFL.

2. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Raiders!

3. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Spurrier did himself no favors by showing up in Columbia. No one's ever won there. And as far away as he seems from being Officially Back, he's was close once. They were 3 points from playing in the SECCG in 2005.

Who knows if Saban continues the nomadic existence. He's got a pretty sweet gig now.

In a few months, Roy Williams will have as many titles as Dean Smith, etc....

Were Florida fans that pissed? I thought they were just generally annoyed. That team looked like gods at the beginning of the year but finished as a mere afterthought.

I beg to differ. They went 9-4 last year and pretty well considered themselves the shit.

I just don't see it. I think Teebs would be more pissed than the fans.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

With Florida State and Miami both heading in mediocre directions, he can recruit Florida without any serious opposition.

If he stays, he could win three National Titles in the next 10 years.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I'm sure one of our resident Bama fans could correct me, but wasn't it Bryant who said several decades back that everyone in the SEC would be chasing Florida once that program got a decent coach?

Spurrier and Meyer have shown that. The weather, the in-state talent, the women ... Florida should never be bad. Meyer easily has one of the best five best college football gigs.

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Both FSU and UM are doing very well in recruiting. Shannon and Jimbo Fisher, with Bowden closing have top classes last year and are doing well this year.

There are enough big recruits in the state that it doesn't matter much if one team wins the NC.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I believe high school football recruiting ratings about as much as I believe the GOP.

If you are the best WR in the state of Florida, are you really going to choose Miami over Florida?

Meyer should not be recruiting the sate of Florida, he should be shopping the state of Florida.

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I agree with the recruiting rankings but why would a WR go to UF and play in Meyer's system? To be a psuedo-rb like Percy Harvin? You look at it as kids wanting to win in college but the end game in the NFL. When Tebow gets drafted in the fifth round QB's won't be flocking to get hit 250 times for free in Gainesville.

Also, there are only 25 scholarships available per team and the state has a helluva lot more D-1 prospects than UF can hoard.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I wonder how much Meyer really cares about that. On the other hand, Spurrier has said the reason he took the USC job was that he enjoyed doing things nobody thought could be done. My impression is that guys on that level in the coaching profession have that mindset as an occupational hazard. At some point, maybe as soon as three weeks, Florida will no longer feel like a challenge to him. The post-Tebow era looks like one, but Bryant was right. Everybody else in the SEC is now chasing Florida.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Meyer must also deal with loss of his longtime O-Coordinator, Dan Mullen.
    Apparently, Mullen will be named head coach at Mississippi State.

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I assume Meyer will just promote Billy Gonzales, and the beat will go on.

12. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted