1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Urban Meyer jump to the NFL?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 8, 2008.

1. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

And they sucked. So.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

With two national titles and a two-time Heisman winner leaving, there is nowhere to go but down.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

There was nowhere for Spurrier to go but down, really.

4. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

It's boring because everyone in the NFL can run. Everyone in the NFL is stronger than an ox and can bench-press a Volkswagen. When you have all of those elite football players flying around, the only thing that will work is good, old-fashioned I-formation, run-first, pass-second ball control, smashmouth football. It's KISS. First example: the Titans. Second, the Panthers. Third, the Steelers. Fourth, the Ravens.

There are countless examples of those type of teams built on defense and the running game. It works in any weather.

In college, you can populate your team with whomever you want. Twenty-five first round picks rather than just one every year to build your team. That's one of the reasons it's far easier to build a winner. Goof on a couple of drafts and you become the Lions. How Matt Millen stayed employed I still wonder about. Pictures. Management. Farm animals, perhaps?

And besides, there is no way that the single wing spread offense employed by Meyer would work. The Wild-whatever formation that has spread like a virus throughout the NFL after the Dolphins were successful with it is headed for a quick extinction.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Which coaches have deeper resonance in the American culture?

Pro or college?

Bill Walsh or Bear Bryant?

Chuck Noll or Joe Paterno?

Don Shula or Woody Hayes?

College coaches do.

No point in going to the NFL when you can win a half-dozen NCAA titles and be the next god.

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

With kids like Ronnie Wilson , he might have to get out sooner than later.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Are any of the currently-vacant NFL jobs any better than his current gig?

I believe Florida would match, or come close to matching, whatever offer he got. And Florida is now one of the premier college coaching jobs in the country, better than Notre Dame, better than Michigan, better than Miami or Ohio State.

So the ONLY reason he would even consider it is ego: "because I can" mindset.

8. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Actually, they won every game but one after they did that. Beat Georgia too, as I recall.

Meyer's not going anywhere right now. In a few years, I could see him geting sick of everything that comes with the UF gig and going to another big school, but the guy gives no indication of even watching the NFL much less dreaming of coaching in it.

9. king cranium maximus IV

Florida switched up things after losing to LSU. Games after that:

- Georgia, W. Scored 14 points, were held scoreless after the first two drives. I should add that the switch, butterfly effect-style, caused DJ Shockley to be out for the game. So score one for Urbs.
    - Vandy, W. One of the worst calls in post-fifth-down college football history. Absolute shamelessness from the SEC front office. Gots to have theyselves a conference title race!
    - South Carolina, L. Or not.
    - FSU, W. Worked well enough here.
    - Bowl game, W. And here.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Urban Meyer was born in Ashtabula, Ohio, and went to Ashtabula St. John's HS. Ashtabula is about 60 miles east of Cleveland.

Just sayin'.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And the Browns job is inferior to the one he has.

I'm not sayin', but I'm just sayin' . . .

12. king cranium maximus IV

He really, really, really should stay at Florida.

Draft saved Draft deleted