1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Urban Meyer jump to the NFL?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 8, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

The ultimate in NFL fail!

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I never thought Meyer's system would be so successful on a weekly basis in the SEC, but it is (with Tebow, any way).

Still, I don't see how his stuff would work in the NFL. Even a quarterback with Tebow's size would be hard to protect for 16 games. He had to adapt after watching Tebow break down last season, but I don't know if that offense is NFL ready.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

He won't go. Why should he? He has absolute control of a better program than he'd likely be handed in the NFL, where he absolutely will not have absolute control.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Thank you. There is no way at all that offense works in the NFL. If it did, people would be running it. The closest anyone's gotten is the Wild(insertstupidwordhere) formations, but that only worked for the Dolphins for about a month.

5. WSKY

WSKY Member

His offense may not work in the NFL, but he'll get a shot to see if it can.

6. sg86

sg86 Member

He has potential to be the biggest college-to-pros coaching bust ever.

You can't be successful in the NFL with an offense that is 99.9999999% predicated on simply outrunning everyone else.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Not a good enough reason when the money would be the same.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Other than ego, I can't see a reason why he would go. He's making plenty of coin in Gainesville and is loved, adored and worshipped by millions. He can recruit the players HE wants, fix his schedule (to an extent).

The NFL is all about systems and borrrrrrring football. Too much pressure to make the playoffs every single year, to win every single week. Too many people looking over your shoulder. Draft, free agency and salary cap determining your roster. I'm not really surprised at how many good college coaches have gone to the NFL and realized within 2-3 years (or less) that they didn't like it.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Prepared to be whipped into submission with Urban NFL talk all of championship week.

In the end, I think he gets his extension and stays.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

If he goes to the NFL, he is smart enough to know his system or QB would not hold up. He would adapt.

11. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

Cleveland would take the Ashtabula native with open arms. Although I could see him pulling a Saban and taking over at ND in a couple of years if he's not feeling it.

12. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I could see him calling a QB scramble 2-3 times a game just to keep defenses off balance, but, yeah, there's no way he could run the same offense in the NFL.

When you think about it, though, his offense is a run-first, pass off play action kind of offense, it's just run out of a funky setup. It's an old school type of mentality.

I remember his first year he changed the offense around for Chris Leak and ran more under-the-center type of plays. I'm sure he'd adapt.

Of course, as Spurrier proved, if you have crappy personnel, none of that matters.

Draft saved Draft deleted