1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will this dead guy get life in prison?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, May 20, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci_23275527/orbans-sentencing-continues-after-death

Cop was convicted last year of kidnapping and raping a waitress. After the conviction, he killed himself in his jail cell. Not enough for the judge, who still wants to go forward with sentencing.

"The only reason he is not here is because he volunteered to take his own life," Shabet said.

"The court does have jurisdiction to complete the sentencing. "

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Presiding over the hearing: Justice Starman.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

To be fair, you did do some selective quoting there, and left this part out:

So, I'm guessing that maybe there is a matter of law or precedent set by the case that would require it to go through sentencing. That being said though, jeebus, this reads like a "Germany or Florida?" prompt. He was a police detective at the time he kidnapped and raped a woman?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't think there needs to be a sentence when there is nobody to sentence. I can understand seeing it through to conviction, but that already happened.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It could be appealed.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

if there's no sentencing the conviction may not be final. FWIW to the victim he would not be a convicted rapistvand murderer. But he's still dead.

One of Bush's ENRON friends died during the appeal of his convictions. The conviction was vacated, his family got to keep lots of money

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

If this guy thinks death is going to get him off the hook, well he's got another thing coming.

8. That's my guess.
    Maybe in case someone fakes their death? So they sentence him in absentia?

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

He's probably being used as an example so other dead people won't commit crimes.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Maybe he got better.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He was a bad cop, and an even deader person.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They didn't turn him into a newt.

Draft saved Draft deleted