1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will this board be around in 20 years?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 6, 2017.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

In 20 years, we won't be using the Internet.

We'll all be wearing reality suits, meeting around midnight at the OASIS, to escape from our dreadful dystopian existence where we all live in huge stacks of old campers piled up at the edge of abandoned oil fields.

Ooops ... I thought you wanted a trailer for Ready Player One ... :)

Bronco77, Vombatus and HC like this.
  2. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I think we'll be using some form of the internet in twenty years. The technology will change, but human nature never does and we will never lose the need to reach out to each other.
    Will this board be around? Interesting question. Message boards that I figured would last have folded. (Salon's "Table Talk" and The Atlantic's "Post, Reposte" come to mind.)
    My father was my age when he died and we share the same health issues. I give myself five to ten years tops.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It will be bots arguing with bots.

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

It will be @YankeeFan saying, "But what about Clinton..."

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I honestly no-snark involved hope the two Trump threads are catalogued by the Library of Congress.

They're shitshows, but I cannot think of an historical document you'll be able to read through that will better show a person in the future what it was like to live in these times. The events work their way into the conversation. The arguments, once years have gone by, will have the vitriol drained from them and they'll represent actual viewpoints.

I believe — no shitting you — a thread like that will be something an historian will find to be a goldmine in a couple hundred years. The news stories won't fully capture what's going on. That shitshow of a thread will.

Bronco77, jr/shotglass and Vombatus like this.
  6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Oh, hell, I don't even think there's that much vitriol there. It's mostly people who seem to like each other arguing about politics. It's about as civil as it gets.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Oh, and I hope historians in 2217 are genuinely puzzled why Chelsea Clinton plays a starring role in the thread.

Stoney likes this.
  8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think they'll figure that out pretty quickly.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And bots posting job ads offering "exposure" instead of cash for work.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Why would they wonder why we were talking about our 47th President?

Hermes likes this.
  11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

DON'T YOU PUT THAT VOODOO ON THIS COUNTRY, YANKEEFAN!

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I've got at least 20 more years of dirty thoughts.

Draft saved Draft deleted