1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will the Washington Post cover this story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, May 12, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The world’s biggest bookstore is a bit smaller these days.

Amazon’s secret campaign to discourage customers from buying books by Hachette, one of the big New York publishers, burst into the open on Friday.

The uneasy relationship between the retailer and the writing community, which needs Amazon but fears its power, immediately soured as authors took to Twitter to denounce what they saw as bullying.

Among Amazon’s tactics against Hachette, some of which it has been employing for months, are charging more for its books and suggesting that readers might enjoy instead a book from another author. If customers for some reason persist and buy a Hachette book anyway, Amazon is saying it will take weeks to deliver it.

The scorched-earth tactics arose out of failed contract negotiations. Amazon was seeking better terms, Hachette was balking, so Amazon began cutting it off. Writers from Malcolm Gladwell to J. D. Salinger are affected, although some Hachette authors were unscathed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/10/technology/writers-feel-an-amazon-hachette-spat.html?smid=tw-share&smv2&_r=1&referrer=

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The Free Market™ at work. Nothing to see here.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Do you want the Post to cover it? I figured you for somebody who'd side with Amazon on something like this.

4. YankeeFan

I want the Washington Post to cover the news.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6. YankeeFan

They've certainly been willing to cover other news coming out of Amazon over the last couple of weeks:

May 1:

April 29:

April 23:

7. MisterCreosote

"Business competes with other business using unsavory yet legal tactics"

Tear up the front!

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

9. YankeeFan

Who said to tear up the front.

Amazon is a big business, and its nearly every move is reported in the business press. The Post covers it extensively.

The Times found it to be worth reporting.

Are you suggesting it's not worthy of coverage in the Post?

10. MisterCreosote

I'm just messing with you.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Post doesn't cover this. I also wouldn't be shocked if it did.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

We need more Deregulation.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I absolutely think it's worth covering. But I think that, to some extent, because of my ideology about corporate America and how unaware Americans tend to be about the how companies they frequent.

I do not think it's worth covering solely because the Times did.

Draft saved Draft deleted