1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will the Tigers hang on?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Last night, the White Sox and Twins both won while Detroit was idle. One and a half over Minnesota, three over the White Sox with 19 to go.

I say that Detroit is the team outside looking in when the smoke clears.

And yes, I know we have a baseball thread, but that seems to be the official New York City and Boston baseball thread. Thought I'd start this for some of us in flyover country.

2. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Will the Tigers hang on?

No.

And that's all I'll say right now, can't risk jinxing anything!!! [/Twins looser fangirl]

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Go check the baseball thread, Pringle. It is MUCH MORE about the Al Central than New York or Boston but you have to be a "flyover country" jackass anyway.
    Meanwhile on said baseball thread, I predicted long ago that the Tiges would collapse and be the third team in the Al Central, and Leyland would be chain smoking while watching the AL playoffs from his couch.

4. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Well I still thought this deserved its own thread. My East Coast envy nonwithstanding.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

PSSSSSSSST! Spnited!

You missed a chance to have a newbie get you a beer!

6. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Wow, that's a little harsh, ancient one.

I say the Tigers hang on, that the Twins will be like one of those basketball teams that falls behind by 20, makes a furious comeback to get close to the lead and can't quite get over the hump.

7. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

This is about the time last year when everyone had the Indians winning it all and the White Sox missing the playoffs.

The Tigers have a really easy schedule to end the season, including 10 games against the Orioles and Royals. They have the edge.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Can't you just ground him, Mom?

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I will in a little bit. Right now, I have to quit wasting time like a looser fangirl procrastinating and get my column finished and filed before deadline or my editor might want to ground me!

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Detroit's ace right now is Verlander, who, as good as he has been, is a rookie.

Twins are lights out with Santana on the mound.

White Sox have the best lineup, but have been spotty in other places that were locks last year, the bullpen in particular.

Tigers and White Sox still have to play each other, which is huge for the Twins. Twins and White Sox then close with three against each other, which is huge for Detroit. Detroit and the Twins are done playing each other which hurts Chicagos chances. If they aren't out by then, they're in.

I have said all along, however, that I think the Tigers will win the division and the Twins the wild card. I just never thought Detroit would let it get this close.

Oh, and Liriano comes back tomorrow night.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

My final prediction:

1. Minnesota
    2. Detroit
    3. Bad Guys

Detroit has a rather favorable schedule, but six games are against the giant-killers from Kansas City. However, a favorable homestand starts for the Tigers this week against Texas and Baltimore. Detroit must win four of those because then they go to the Bad Guys park for a three-game set that could decide the season. Then it's at Baltimore for one, at KC for three, and home to Toronto and KC for three each.

The biggest thing for Detroit is to remain within a game of first or the wild card headed to the final weekend. Minnesota hosts the Bad Guys and Detroit is home to Kansas City.

On a side note: The Bad Guys don't play Kansas City any more. That may be the reason they get back into the playoffs - by not playing the Giant Killers any more.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Tigers win the pennant, Twins win the wild card. It's a lot like last year's situation, when the Sox were 15 games up at one point but had to hold off Cleveland in the final weekend.

Draft saved Draft deleted