1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will the Paterno statue come down?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jul 14, 2012.

?

Do you think the Paterno statue is going to come down?

1. Yes

68 vote(s)
    69.4%
  2. No

28 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Still not sure

16 vote(s)
    16.3%
  1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

And for that, they deserve mocking and shaming.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Then mock them and shame them.

The way I see it the "fuck you" crowd is Penn State's problem, not ours. That crowd is the school's walking, talking Scarlet Letter.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Good point.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

After 9/11 sports was shut down for a week.

Then the games started and there were big flags on the field and everyone sung God Bless America.

A couple of days after that, the flags were put away, the regular anthem returned, and we attended games as usual, "as if nothing happened."

Because that's what we do. That's what we always do. And there's not a damn thing wrong with it.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Yeah, that's an apt comparison.

6. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

Unfortunately, I find that completely "believable"

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There IS NO comparison. What you would like to see happen has never happened and will never happen and should not ever happen.

You don't just shut down industries because a crime was committed by some of its former employees.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

If that crime was committed because of an all-consuming culture in which the great majority of the employees refuses to face reality, then yes, you do.

9. Armchair_QB

So when does Penn State University get shut down?

And I'll point out that Paterno's name is on the library, not the football stadium.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Don't worry, A_QB, it's highly unlikely there will be a death penalty to mess up your Saturdays.

11. Armchair_QB

I could give a shit about Penn State football. But if you're serious about punishing the "business" that allowed this to happen then you should be advocating to shut down the entire university, not the football program.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

In this case, it's not too far of a stretch to say it was a football program with a university attached to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted