1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will the Paterno statue come down?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jul 14, 2012.

?

Do you think the Paterno statue is going to come down?

1. Yes

68 vote(s)
    69.4%
  2. No

28 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Still not sure

16 vote(s)
    16.3%
  1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

No, you go to honor the suppression of minority voting rights back in the day. :D

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Actually I go to honor former UA professor Timothy Leary.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Tell me a stadium (that typically fills up) that WOULDN'T fill up if all this happened at their school/city.

This is not a "Central PA thing", no matter how much we want to demonize their actions.

It's a human thing. That's what humans do --- everywhere.

It's not "100,000 people with blinders and no shame."

It's tens of millions with the capability to put those blinders on and show no shame.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This is such simplistic bullshit. The PSU fans didn't "turn PSU into" this, a small group of fuckheads with important jobs did. The PSU fans didn't know a damn thing about it, and didn't do anything different than what college football fans at other schools throughout the SEC, Big 10 and Big 12 have also done.

Folks are really getting carried away with the "blame the fans" bs around here. Some here are just looking for new bad guys to point fingers at.

5. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

I have less of a problem with the 100000 in the stadium than i do with the hundreds who will continue to get pictures taken in front of that statue of that monster. The new internet talking point for penn state sycophants is "i didnt go to paterno state university. I went to penn state university." Fine. If that is true, tear down that damn statue. Demand a public censure of paterno by penn state. Take back your school. Your leaders have failed you. Do something.

6. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Penn State says the statue stays, and they aren't gonna be "bullied" into taking it down.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Unbelievable:

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The school did the right thing and spared no expense and hired Freeh to do the investigation...

Maybe the school will do the right thing and fold the program for the next few years...

Just a thought...

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If they don't take the statue down before the season starts, they sure as shit won't take it down during the season.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

If you're still trying to defend Paterno, or turn a blind eye to what happened (which is the attitude at the root of this horrifying mess Paterno and the school got themselves into), then you deserve to be reminded that you're either clueless, heartless or both. Now what percentage of Penn Staters who continue to attend games do you think fall into that category? 90 percent? 95? 99?

EDIT: Just now seeing the posts regarding Penn State's decision. I've changed my mind. The death penalty is too easy for these poor, persecuted assholes. They deserve for this program to be continually shamed, to the point they get to watch it crumble, watch it become irrelevant, and to live with the fact that the most important thing in their lives is a joke. Just like they are.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Actually, visiting fans would probably hammer away at it in the dead of night.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

IF there's not a full-time security guard around that thing 24/7, it's getting damaged. And soon.

I don't think there is, and I don't think it's being put in glass or anything. But yeah, someone's going at it with spraypaint or something.

Draft saved Draft deleted