1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Sandberg Finally Manage The Cubs??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

And Perez didn't really get a fair shake in Cincy either. He had a talented team that stumbled early and Bowden got anxious. He had Davey Johnson in his back pocket and made a knee-jerk move.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My hope is that the Cubs totally knee-jerk during the offseason and throw the bank at Albert Pujols.

Dopey Cubs fans would eat it up realizing too late that having Pujols on the books would likely financially stymie any efforts to actually make the team itself stronger.

[​IMG]

Make this happen!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't think they have the bank to afford him. And even if they did I'm confident it would wind up being a massive waste of money.

They throw enough Giordano's coupons at Prince and they might get him though.

4. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

If they get into their usual late-summer rut, I wonder if Ryno will call in a slumpbuster.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I would prefer they go after Prince fielder, that way it still leaves them some money to over pay for a past his prime pitcher like CHien Ming Wang or Brandon Webb. Hey, it's only money, right? #fuckingcubs

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Not sure why you guys think Prince Fielder is going to be that much cheaper than Pujols.

Fielder has Boras as his agent, is having a perfect contract year and is younger than Pujols. Their contracts will be a lot closer than most think.

7. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-corgan-ryno-deserved-an-interview-with-epstein-20111103,0,6969115.story

Theo Epstein spoke to Mike Quade to tell him his service as manager was at an end, and one to Ryne Sandberg to let him know, in effect, he would not be considered for the job.

Now, this front man for Smashing Pumpkins is adding his two cents as to how he feels about Ryno not getting the job.

Should anybody really care what he thinks?

8. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

No. If I were Epstein I wouldn't want a manager who has any connection to the Cubs' losing history. I don't like the idea of hiring a manager who played for the franchise. That includes Girardi, he would not have been my pick for the Yankees' manager.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Not to threadjack, but holy fuck how could anyone say with a straight face that Scioscia ever came anywhere near an NL MVP award?

It looks like he came closest in 1985, when he finished 18th in the voting after hitting .296 with 7 HRs and 53 RBIs. He didn't even make the freaking All-Star Game that season.

Draft saved Draft deleted