1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Sandberg Finally Manage The Cubs??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Aug 1, 2011.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Wondering what the SportsJournalists.com population thinks of:

1) The prospect of the Cubs firing Mike Quade after this season and hiring Ryne Sandberg? This article suggests the Ricketts family would be wise to hire Sandberg if Quade quits/gets the axe after this season.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/ct-oped-0801-sandberg-20110801,0,4227610.story

2) Anybody believe or hear rumors that Tony LaRussa will quit St. Louis to manage Chicago White Sox? But before that, anybody believe or hear rumors Ozzie Guillen will be the next Fla. Marlins manager?

Discuss.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'd be more interested in seeing the rumor of Pat Gillick becoming the team president coming true.

Mike Quade may not be the answer as the manager but I'm not sure Sandberg is either. The only thing I do know is that whatever the wrong move is, Tom Ricketts is sure to make it.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Has hiring a former (super)star to manage their old team ever worked? At least recently? Past 25 years?

Alan Trammell
    Tony Perez
    Yogi Berra

Haven't given it too much thought, but I think the best job a star player did managing his former team may have been Pete Rose. And we know how that ended up.

4. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Not sure if he qualifies as a 'super' star, but Ozzie Guillen has worked out alright.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I imagine Guillen qualifies as a star, having been ROY and made the ASG three times (fan voting, to be sure) for the White Sox.

The bigger question is, will Sandberg be smart enough to keep his wife away from the team this time?

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Guillen didn't make it with fan voting since a guy named Cal seemed to win every season.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I'm with Armchair on the hope of getting Gillick to come to the Cubs.

Regardless if Ryne was tabbed to be the manager, this team reeks of sucks and he wasn't going to win games with this bunch anyway. Ryne may be good for at least 3 more wins, but this year was a lost cause anyway.

Dan Bernstein on his 670 the Score blog mentioned that if Ricketts get Gillick, then he has to clean house by jettionsing Hendry, getting Crane Kenney out of the way and send him back to his office where he's best suited, dumping Aramis, Soriano, and move some guys that has been in the system for far too long (example is Koyie Hill, who was finally moved up after spending "forever" with the Iowa Cubs and has never blossomed to be what they predicted).

8. Armchair_QB

Well he's changed wives since then and I doubt Dave Martinez or Rafael Palmeiro would be candidates for his coaching staff.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You're right. Wow, so he made it on merit? That was a thin position.

Another name: Davey Johnson, Orioles (ROY, 3-time AS with Baltimore, made ALCS both years as O's manager and was manager of the year when Angelos canned him for being too good)

10. Armchair_QB

Actually, if I'm Gillick, I don't take the job unless Kenney is fired by Ricketts BEFORE I start.

Dumping Soriano is probably too much to ask. Somebody has to be willing to take him.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Joe Torre is the best player to be a successful manger in recent history.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If you had offered me a million dollars to name the manager of the Cubs, your money would have been safe. I've never heard of Mike Quade.

But Ryne-o was hot when he played. That's all I've got to offer.

Draft saved Draft deleted