1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Robbie Alomar be elected to the Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Oct 10, 2010.

?

Will Robbie Alomar be elected to the Hall of Fame? What say you?

1. Yes - he's one of the best 2nd basemen of all-time

78.4%
  2. No - he doesn't deserve election

18.9%
  3. No - he deserves election but HIV issues and steroid fueled numbers from other players will keep him

2.7%
  4. Mini Ditka

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Double J

Double J Active Member

He didn't win a game in Toronto, but he did play there. :D

Although I'm sure everyone involved - the Jays as well as Niekro - would like very much to forget about his three appearances and 12 innings, during which time he faced 56 batters and allowed 22 of them to reach base. He gave up 15 hits, seven walks, four home runs and 11 earned runs in his 12 innings of "work." He also balked once and threw a wild pitch. Suck much, Phil?

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The two most-similar players to Roberto Alomar:

Derek Jeter. And Lou Whitaker.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/alomaro01.shtml

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Which proves that Whitaker falling off the ballot after a year or two is one of the great travesties in recent balloting history.

4. I think people may be underestimating the effect the HIV news will have on the willingness of people to vote for Alomar. I disagree with that thinking but it is naive not to acknowledge that it will color some people's thinking and voting.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'll bet you there are more voters who change a "maybe" to a "yes" in order to ensure he gets in while he's alive than there are guys who change their vote from "yes" to "no" b/c of his lifestyle.

6. Roberto Alomar got 397 votes or 73.7%. I think it goes down next year.

In addition to the homophobic element - next year will have Juan Gonzalez and Raphael Palmeiro on the ballot. Some people may just take a pass completely under the idea that who knows who was dirty (steroids). Want to bet that a dirty needle scenario is floated in some places to explain the positive HIV? Some people will not vote for Alomar until they are certain he was clean and how will anyone ever be fully sure?

Next year's ballot will be very interesting indeed. You have steroids proven (Palmeiro and Gonzalez), steroid rumors (Bagwell) and the first test of the Coors Field effect (Larry Walker). I'm rooting for Barry Larkin and Fred McGriff as good guys getting support (in part in comparison to some of the "dirty" players).

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

like waiting for the results on Strasburgs arm?

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

HAHAHAHAHHAHA. Nothing is funnier on SJ than watching hondo get his ass handed to him on everything.

Chris, want to make a wager that Alomar gets in next year?

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

An ass is muscle, just like most other body parts, and you have to use it to get it strong and keep it strong.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I really agree with that. More proof that voters, who should know better, are too in love with stats for their own good.

Whitaker and Dave Concepcion should have gotten a lot more love from voters.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

- 12 consecutive All-Star games
    - 10 Gold Gloves in 11 years
    - 4 Silver Slugger awards

End of thread.

12. - 12 All-Star Games
    - 9 Silver Sluggers
    - 3 Gold Gloves
    - MVP

That's Barry Larkin's resume - do you think that guarantees him a spot in the Hall? Very similar in terms of accomplishments to Alomar - in fact I'd say the MVP puts Larkin ahead yet Larkin may have an uphill struggle.

Draft saved Draft deleted