1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Robbie Alomar be elected to the Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Oct 10, 2010.

?

Will Robbie Alomar be elected to the Hall of Fame? What say you?

1. Yes - he's one of the best 2nd basemen of all-time

78.4%
  2. No - he doesn't deserve election

18.9%
  3. No - he deserves election but HIV issues and steroid fueled numbers from other players will keep him

2.7%
  4. Mini Ditka

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. I say "Yes" and here's why:

- 12 consecutive All-Star games
    - 10 Gold Gloves in 11 years
    - 4 Silver Slugger awards

If you compare him to Ryne Sandberg (the last 2nd baseman elected to the HOF) you find that Alomar leads Sandberg in runs, hits, doubles, triples, RBI, batting average, on base percentage, OPS and OPS+. Alomar was also clearly the better player with the glove. If Sandberg is in then Alomar clearly deserves induction.

What Alomar has working against him are five things:

- He didn't spend his whole career with one team like Sandberg
    - The incident where he spit at umpire John Hirshbeck
    - Comparisons to more offensive minded players like Craig Biggio and Jeff Kent
    - How his career just fell completely apart his last four years
    - HIV issues may turn some voters against him

These things will be brought up but all the objections are relatively easy to overcome. Plus Alomar has an ace in the hole - Peter Gammons. Alomar may just be Gammons favorite player and I would look for Gammons to pen an epic homage to Alomar sometime before the vote.

Alomar may not make it on the first ballot but I think he will be voted into the Hall of Fame.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Im with the horse.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

He should be. He was THE second baseman in the game for a lot of years. He could do it all.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I've got a novel idea ... wait to see what the Hall of Fame voters decide.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The Sandberg argument ignores comparing to era. But he's still in.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You could say that about, like, 99.99 percent of threads.

"Wait to see what happens in the game."

"Wait to see what happens in the MVP vote."

"Wait to see what happens when the BCS poll is released."

The existence of Hall of Fame water cooler talk seems to be a really, really strange thing to get indignant about.

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

The best 2B of a generation. No brainer

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Dick. Given some of the crap discussed on this board, someone is going to act this crusty on a pretty legitimate topic?

Chris_L nailed the negatives I would have in regards to Robbie Alomar. Still, while I count character a disproportionate amount in my personal consideration, unless Alomar is linked to PEDs/steroids/etc., there's not enough to keep him out of Cooperstown IMO. Too many positives, too much talent and the results really do speak for themselves. Besides, who doesn't look like a saint compared to Ty Cobb, who won't be evicted out of Cooperstown anytime soon?

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yes. Next year. Should have been in this year.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, he should have been in on the first ballot. Absolutely absurd he has to wait at all.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Unlike Phil Niekro, Dave Winfield and Paul Molitor, this ex-Blue Jay will enter the HOF with a Jay on his cap. The nice thing is that he'll be very happy about that, unlike a couple of former Montreal Expos who would rather have been inducted as a Met and as a Cub.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Identifying Phil Niekro as an ex-Blue Jay. Man. You ARE a devoted Jays fan. :D :D

Draft saved Draft deleted