1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will pump pain kill journalism?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by chigurdaddy, Jun 6, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I know most papers have raised their mileage rates, but I'm wondering if carriers, as "independant contractors" have to eat the gas or can they deduct it as a business expense.

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

It is very much tax deductible. I just read where the federal rate is up to 50.5 cents a mile. That means if your paper is giving you the standard 30-32 cents, you can claim the remaining 18.5-20.5 on your tax return.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

40 miles commute x 5 days per week = 200 miles x 4 weeks month = 800 miles/20 miles per gallon = 40 gallons of gas at 20 miles per gallon x 4.00 gallon = $160 a month.
    Is my math off?
    Or are you talking 40 miles each way?
    If you live 40 miles from your job, you've made a mistake somewhere along the line.

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I think Chigur was referring to 40 miles round trip, but it's not at all uncommon -- particularly if you live on the West Coast or in Texas -- to travel 40 miles one way.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I'm not buying the apocalypse scenario when it comes to gas prices. eventually, they will price themselves out of the marketplace, and prices will *have* to come down. It's how economics works.

Anybody who tries to sell gas for $10 a gallon won't for very long. Nobody will buy it, because they can't, and the gas companies will be stuck with tanks full of gas.

People are going to get wise to this hybrid thing. On a recent road trip for the paper, I rented a Prius. Drove around LA for four days and used like 2 1/2 gallons of gas. I need to get me one of these things.

People are going to begin to rely on public transportation more, where available.

People are going to quit taking unnecessary car trips, combining errands and such. I've already begun to do this. "Wanna go out to eat tonight?" "Nah, I'd rather not spend the gas."

All of the above will combine to help bring down gas prices at some point. Right?

6. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Not to be your editor but it's FARTHER, not FURTHER.

Gracias.

7. WS

WS Member

That's what we've been doing, consuming less gas. Yet, when "analysts" boast to the Associated Press how much they think oil is going to rise, it rises.

8. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

As the demand decreases, so will the price. Remember, though, it's a global market. China and India are more or less in the throughs of their own industrial revolutions.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

look, soaring gas prices - especially if they keep soaring - will change our entire economy. as a result, it'll change society.

that said, in one way or another, the economy and society overall will adapt. things will change but high gas prices aren't going to put the entire working population out of work.

hybrids will become cheaper and more popular. we're already seeing fewer SUVs and trucks sold. alternative energy will suddenly no longer be a trendy, cute-sy thing that only your unshaven, hippie-wannabe cousin cares about. the electric car, a long running joke for decades, may become reality once someone figures out how to build a viable one. local governments outside of the top 10-15 major metro areas may wake up to the reality of public transportation.

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

HA! Our shop's contract expired last month. We're still without a new one and mileage rate hasn't budge. I fired off an angry email to my union steward today.

11. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

I'm a bit confused. How does the commuting time/cost of reporters and editors have any bearing on the newspaper itself? Do you get reimbursed for driving to the office?
    Telecommuting's all fine and good, but I don't see how papers will "have to let reporters and editors" telecommute to "keep the profession viable." If gas prices are that big a problem, they'll just tell you to live closer to the office, or they'll hire someone who will.
    I could definitely see gas costs being a problem for delivery, and, to a lesser degree, for reporting-related travel (one thing's for sure, I'm a lot more vigilant about keeping track of my mileage these days). But having reporters work from home doesn't really solve either of those issues.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We've basically been told by our publisher we (writers and photogs) cannot leave the county to cover anything.

That policy will last about two nanoseconds into football tab.

Draft saved Draft deleted