1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Online Journalism As a College Student Help Your Portfolio?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kweonsam, Aug 20, 2014.

1. kweonsam

kweonsam New Member

Such as being an editor for a blog at Fansided.com, writing for SB Nation. Let's say after I graduate I put that I have been a Fansided Editor for over 6 years on my resume. How much will that help?

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Depends. If an employer gets resumes from 100 other people with similar lines, you need to be ready to describe how what you did was better than all of them.

3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

You've been an editor for six years and you're a college student? What did you edit, exactly?

4. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

No idea what fansided is, but if it's a decent role in SB Nation, I'd guess that was pretty good.

5. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

It's Bleacher Report Lite. Any wanna-be writer can have a role. They might get some pennies for clicks, but that's it.

You want to have better clips and a better resume, kweonsam? Get a degree outside of journalism (business or something), then take journalism electives and work at the student paper. In the summer - or hell, even if you have some time on the weekends during the school year - start stringing for the local paper(s).

And do more than sports for the school paper. Spend at least a semester doing some harder hitting news work. It'll be worth it even if you stay in sports your entire career.

6. How about start college, have some fun, meet some girls, and don't try to be "all-out sports dude."

7. kweonsam

kweonsam New Member

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, but I was referring to being an editor for 6 years AFTER I graduate college. They pay around 500 bucks a month, it varies.

8. I wouldn't count on working for Fansided four years from now.

9. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Yeah...answer doesn't change. Enjoy college, work for the student paper, party when you can, get an internship or three, freelance a little. You'll be far more well-rounded than being an editor for a click-bait website.

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

So why are they giving you an editing gig if you have no experience and haven't started college?

I agree with others. Enjoy college, go after some coeds, write for the student paper and get an internship at the tail end.

Draft saved Draft deleted