1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Will #MeToo dating rules bring on an 'end of men?'"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 17, 2018.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t be surprised if some state tried to pass a statutory-rape-like law related to alcohol. Too drunk to give consent, or some such.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's already part of the law in many if not all states.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yeah, but doesn’t that mostly cover “incapacitation,” or basically unconsciousness?

I’m talking about something like a legal limit for driving. More than three drinks in two hours? Incapable of consenting.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Male-person, 22 years old. Female-person, 22 years old. Each pours down a shit-pile of booze at a party. They wind up doing the nasty.

Tie-breaker on who was incapable of giving consent is ...?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't see how that's going to work given the lapse of hours/days in evidence collection.

I have definitely read about cases though where the victim was considered too drunk to give consent (in the face of the defendant's claims that she did consent).

That was a big part of the Steubenville case, right?

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's uncomfortable, but we all know the answer to that.

7. doctorquant

Yep. That's why I have less-than-a-lot of patience with the "Just don't rape ... it's easy!" rhetoric.

8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Well, it's also easy not to get blind fucking drunk. I get that it's part of growing up, and mistakes will be made, and drunk people do dumb things. But if a side effect of #MeToo is more responsible behaviour generally—not getting idiot drunk, say—then that seems like a net positive to me.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

How do you monitor that, though? Mandate a breathalyzer test before giving or receiving a blow job?
    I can already see the PSAs: "Blow before you blow."

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The thing about having breathalyzers around while you're drinking is that you wind up seeing how high you can get the thing to register before you puke or pass out.

Or so I've been told.

11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

When the ceiling becomes a challenge, not a limit.

12. doctorquant

Please note I wasn't sticking it to you specifically there.

Draft saved Draft deleted