1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Will #MeToo dating rules bring on an 'end of men?'"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 17, 2018.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Lot of confusion out there right now, it sounds like.

Will #MeToo dating rules bring on an 'end of men'?

Some fear an “end of men” — or at least an end to the historic masculinity most males take to heart. And many young men are finding themselves confused by new rules governing intimacy and sex that are at odds with lessons they absorbed as boys.

‘I don’t really know … what’s expected’

Through my work as a psychologist working with high school students, I recently heard the following from an 18-year-old boy I talked with about how the masculine code conditioned his behavior: “You know, you’ve got to be good at sports, strong, know a lot of girls — you have to be kissing a couple [of them] — and all that. I don’t really know what’s going on, what I should be doing, what’s expected, how aggressive I should be.”

However bewildering, his survival depended upon doing what was “expected,” what a boy “had to be good at.”

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Waiting for the robots.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sounds like he doesn't know what to do to begin with.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

So he sounds like me and millions of other guys the last 100 years.

Inky_Wretch and LongTimeListener like this.
  5. Dick Whitman

“You know, you’ve got to be good at sports, strong, know a lot of girls — you have to be kissing a couple [of them] — and all that."

In other breaking news, @Dick Whitman sucked at being a teen-age boy.

6. TheSportsPredictor

Exactly. Clueless.

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

As a father of two boys, I don't see why it's so complicated, or why it's suddenly hard to teach them what I need to teach them: "Don't have sex with people who don't want to have sex with you." Ta-da. What a wizard I am.

8. TheSportsPredictor

But how do you dooooooooo that??

9. Dick Whitman

I just wish my kid would fucking start turning on the ball consistently already instead of slapping everything opposite field. That's asking to get thrown out at first.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

No, Dick, you WANT him spraying it to right. Those are the kids you draft in 10-12 years.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You can't really think it's that easy in the face of every message they get from their friends, movies, TV, social media, and oftentimes girls themselves. Isn't this kind of like saying "I don't see why my daughter has so many problems with her body image, I keep telling her she's beautiful"?

12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

It's actually kind of funny. I coached my younger* son's school volleyball team yesterday. We were walking back from the host school. His class happened to be outside for gym. All these girls literally broke from their class to run up to him to ask how he did. We'd won, and he pretty proudly told them that we'd won. They were as swoony as 10-year-old girls get. I was walking with a teacher, and she said: "He is very popular with the girls." And I said, "If I get him out of [our tiny town] without getting anybody pregnant, I deserve a medal." She just about crapped. Like, you can tell right now that he'll be that guy I hated when I was a teenager, the one who sort of effortlessly succeeded with girls. The only thing I will have to teach him, apart from "don't rape anybody," is how not to get someone pregnant.

And my older* one is asexual, as far as I can tell. I'm on cruise control.

*Interesting grammatical lesson. I sometimesl refer to my boys as my "eldest" or my "youngest." My mum, who is a grammar freak, told me you only need those words if you have more than two children. Otherwise they are the older one and the younger one. Three or more, you can use "youngest," to differentiate them from middle children.

And then she wonders why I grew up to be an OCD word geek.

Draft saved Draft deleted