1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will man ever walk on Mars?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 27, 2012.

?

Will man ever walk on Mars?

1. Yes, but not in my lifetime.

31 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. Yes, in my lifetime.

25 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. No, never.

8 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Spend a billion dollars building a stadium, people cheer. Spend a billion on a rocket, people boo.

2. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

That is pretty much it.
    Think of all the money we have pissed away on stadia in just the last two decades.
    There's your Mars mission.
    Real linear progress on a new frontier.
    I shudder to think where we would be if our ancestors exercised the suggestion of the last two pages and just said "Fuck it - let somebody else do it."

3. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I think a space vehicle launching from Mars has a higher chance of lift off.

Also, just wondering, can you get an erection on Mars?

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Try mastering question marks before you worry about getting to Mars. :D

(I do that a lot, too.)

5. old_tony

Here's what I would wonder about: Mars takes nearly twice the time as Earth to do a lap around the sun. Because of that, its seasons also are nearly twice as long. I wonder if the human body would age more slowly. Or would life expectancies be in the 30s or 40s? If we ever got there, would this conversation take place: "Well, I'm 70 in earth years but only 38 in Mars years"?

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

So you could then be young Tony!

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

So that means Martian girls are only 3s?

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well yeah, but they get a bonus point for being green.

9. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

A rhetorical question isn't required to end with a question mark.

10. old_tony

Tthe question part does require a question mark.

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/marks/question.htm

11. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Not necessarily.
    It is not functioning gramatically as a question, insofar that it seeks an answer.
    Anyway.
    Back to Mars.

12. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I can't tell if this is a serious or a silly question, but I'll answer it seriously. I would think the seasons themselves or the period of time in an Earth year have no effect on the aging process. They're simply conversion factors, much like converting gallons to liters or dollars to pounds or Euros. Age -- perhaps not the hard number, per se, but in terms of a measure of the wear and tear on the human body -- would theoretically be the same on Earth, Mars, the Moon or anywhere else. Just like an object's mass is constant.

One's weight, however, would obviously be different because weight is the measure of the gravitational pull on an object -- and Mars' gravitational pull is much less than Earth's. A 170-pound man on Earth would weigh 64 pounds on the Red Planet.

Having said that, I'd absolutely love to be proven wrong scientifically -- best way to find out if I'm right or wrong, of course, is to send a manned mission to Mars.

Draft saved Draft deleted