1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will man ever walk on Mars?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 27, 2012.

?

Will man ever walk on Mars?

1. Yes, but not in my lifetime.

31 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. Yes, in my lifetime.

25 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. No, never.

8 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Pump Up the Volume!

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

We need better methods of shielding astronauts from longterm radiation exposure. Until that happens, no way.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Watch "Moonshot" (the TBS(?) documentary based on the book by Alan Shepherd, Deke Slayton et al.). There's a scene in there of some man-on-the-street interview in which a mid-20s African-American man questions the NASA-related expenditures in light of the country's social problems at the time. That kind of thinking was already widespread within a few months of the Apollo 11 triumph.

5. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Nope. This country isn't committed to any high ideals, other than "what can we do to beat the other party?"

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Maybe if China becomes a bigger perceived threat and pumps its space program to going-to-Mars levels -- which seems to be on the horizon (it has a stated goal of a manned mission to the moon) -- it will get the U.S. moving. Other than that, I don't see it in the foreseeable future.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

China is notoriously lousy at developing its own technology, but excellent at reverse-engineering (i.e. copying) others' like ours and the former Soviets'.

I actually think India will eventually be the more serious near-space rival, but Mars will end up being a joint U.S.-Russian-European project.

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

One of my fave Ozzy bands weighs in...

[​IMG]

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

India might be a more serious space rival, but it is not considered a threat by the public (and more important, by politicians) the way China is (dang Common-ists). To get us going we need a Soviet-type we-need-to-beat-them-before-they-get-us kind of rival.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

And we also may need to resolve our debt crisis.

Which is the other factor folks here are largely ignoring--there's a rather a monstrous difference in the fiscal state of our government between then and now. Quite a bit easier to sell the idea of chasing the moon and stars back in the 50s and 60s when we balanced our budgets and had the extra bucks to spend.

And another problem with the USSR/China comparison is that it's simply a different type of rivalry. The Cold War USSR rivalry was first and foremost an arms race, and there was a perception back then that conquering space was collaterally related to the arms race, and dire consequences could eventually result from falling behind.

But the China thing is perceived firstly as an economic rivalry, rather than an arms or military one. And, in an economic rivalry, there's not nearly the appeal for an endeavor that could cost an unfathomable amount of public money and would be unlikely to accomplish anything other than to say we did it.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

According to Wiki, which is never ever wrong, the total budget of NASA in 2011 was about $18 billion. The Army budget was $244.9 billion. Total military spending is $683 billion. A bunch of that - around $50 billion - seems to be going toward new ships and Air Force projects, expensive stuff that we already lap the rest of the world in when it comes to technology. It would be nice (at least IMO) if we could re-make some of those military installations into space exploration facilities or production wings, so you wouldn't have to deal with the political fallout from shutting down the shipyard and losing jobs.

To me, the bigger danger and something we don't spend nearly enough on is defending the Earth from all the asteroids floating out there: http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/08/opinion/urry-asteroid-earth-risk/index.html - It would be nice if some sort of coalition focused a ton of money on monitoring as much of the space near the Earth as possible, and had counters at the ready, as opposed to waiting for a problem to develop and then just winging it at the time.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

They figured all that out in 1998.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted