1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will man ever walk on Mars?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 27, 2012.

?

Will man ever walk on Mars?

1. Yes, but not in my lifetime.

31 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. Yes, in my lifetime.

25 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. No, never.

8 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I might be missing something, but what mission returned a vehicle from the surface of Mars back to the Earth?

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The question should also be, when will woman walk on Mars?

Because Mars needs women.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Thought you were talking about punching backt thru Earth's atmosphere.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Isn't the Martian atmosphere like 1% of Earth's? Doesn't seem insurmountable.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

More importantly, when with the University of Mars join the Big East?

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Mars atmosphere is only 0.6% as thick as Earth's, so that's not really an issue.

But it's gravity is 38 percent of Earth's (twice as much as the moon). That's the problem. Whatever is small enough to land won't be powerful enough to blast off and break free. You'd have to have a second vehicle involved somehow.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Also wonders if there's life on Mars:

[​IMG]

8. Football_Bat

You don't have to return directly to Earth's atmosphere from Mars. You could dock with the ISS (if it's still up) and take a Soyuz home from there.

It goes without saying you have to have a ship that can launch from Mars. That's where water would come in handy. You can electrolyze H2O to make rocket fuel.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm not confident mankind will ever set foot on Mars. The technological savvy is there, but it would be God-awful expensive to pull it off. I think we can't find out pretty much everything we want to know with robots and the like for an infinitesimal fraction of that cost.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It just needs a Kickstarter fund.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Apollo was a Cold War show of strength and prestige far more than a public works project. And the big government types aren't exactly big backers of the space program these days (and weren't then, either).

12. Football_Bat

Nixon was giddy to kill Apollo because it was Kennedy's idea, not because it represented some sort of governmental profligacy. That fiscal thinking was there in the background, but really didn't hit the front burner till Ross Perot.

Draft saved Draft deleted