1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will man ever walk on Mars?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 27, 2012.

?

Will man ever walk on Mars?

1. Yes, but not in my lifetime.

31 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. Yes, in my lifetime.

25 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. No, never.

8 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Been thinking about the space program a lot lately after the death of Neil Armstrong and the recent spacecraft landing on Mars.

I know very little about the particular challenges of such a manned mission, but I bet some in our diverse group of posters could really enlighten us.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Can we add to the poll what country the person will be from? :D

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Some kind of huge discovery on Mars would speed up the timetable, like abundant liquid water or signs of life.

I think we have the technology now. The barriers are more logistical and financial.

4. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I said in my lifetime, but I'm 28, so that's about four decades plus to get the job done.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

No real reason to have a man go up if we do not intend to live up there. Drones and robots can do most of the research for us.

The biggest problem would be getting the person we send up there home. You have to punch through an atmosphere to come home.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It would be easier to go to Mars if the goal was to settle and not return astronauts.

7. dmc

dmc Guest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_One
    Mars One plans to establish the first human settlement on Mars. According to their schedule, the first crew of four astronauts would arrive on Mars in 2023

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

We've done it before.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

To Mars? Unless things change, only if there's money in it - or if we run out of something here, like water or air.

(Tom Wolfe had a smart OpEd a few years ago in which he argued that the only reason we got to the moon was that the trip was one front in the Cold War. It's interesting this week to note the number of small government types praising Neil Armstrong for having ridden one of the most expensive public works projects in human history to the moon and back.)

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

We'll land there.
    Another question comes to mind, when will beings from another planet visit us?

11. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Several posters on this site are proof positive of that.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

10-4 to that!

Draft saved Draft deleted