1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will locker room access ever return in MLB & NHL?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you're disappointed, but I didn't say reduced access didn't matter.

Rather, I suggested the access most sports reporters have now - or had last year or had ten years ago - isn't put to good use by most sports reporters.

And as you say, there's a difference between big league access and minor league access, big college access and small college access. There's a difference in how MLB coverage works and Diamond League track and EPL and sumo wrestling and boxing. All get covered.

Access differs and access changes and we adapt to that or we don't.

Different access requires a different sportswriting strategy. As the internet has pretty well proved.

MeanGreenATO likes this.
  2. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

I'll be surprised if it goes completely back to normal. Baseball players have been clamoring to close the clubhouse for years. The league never had much of a reason to acquiesce, and it didn't make sense for the MLBPA to spend negotiating capital on it in the CBA. Now, the players can claim it as a health and safety issue/. Even if COVID eventually goes away, there will be the threat of future viruses. The league's ambivalence will cut the other way - they don't have much of a reason to fight to preserve access at the expense of something else. They'll spin it as broadening access - Zoom calls allow non-traveling media to participate on the road, clubs will arrange pre-approved pre-game 1-on-1's, manager will still be available before every game, etc.

Fdufta likes this.
  3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The whole PED crisis in baseball broke when an AP reporter noticed a bottle of pills in McGwire’s locker. That’s not happening without access.

JosephDHippolito and Fdufta like this.
  4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Yes, and Steve Wilstein was vilified for asking about it.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

That's one point of access, though, asking questions about what they see and hear, or saw and heard in the game

Wilstein being vilified for asking about what he saw in the open is like a football coach going to a booster club gathering and getting pissed about it not being "off the record" in front of hundreds of people. But the coach knows all he/she has to say is "But I said it was off the record! I was among our "family" at that big booster meeting!" and the fans will turn on the reporter.

McGwire could've put those PEDs behind books about Mother Teresa and Winning at Life if he didn't want anyone to see them.

maumann likes this.
  6. Fdufta

Fdufta Member

Anyone have more educated predictions on this, with NHL and NBA ending and now MLB winding down?

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

My guess is, you are never given more access. What's gone is gone.

SixToe and maumann like this.
  8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think the NHL is gone for good, especially given Bettman's sniveling response to the ESPN bubble story. It's a sport that seems to think being fourth in the pecking order is as high as it's ever gonna get so why try harder? I like to think baseball has a shot, but this pandemic won't ease up in time for access to return next year and then the CBA gets renegotiated and the one thing the owners & players are gonna be able to agree upon is closing the locker rooms. Oh well.

9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

In an absolute stunner, MLB writers are back in the room starting tomorrow!

(And the BBWAA president also sent out a note about this, so I don't think Bob can hex it)

Never expected this. Great news, though.

garrow, Patchen, wicked and 4 others like this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Baseball players proving again they are the biggest assholes in pro sports.

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Well, now I'm confused. If it was "Bye Bye Bye" it was N'Sync. Did he get the lyrics wrong?

PaperClip529 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted