1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Leitch's GQ piece on Mike Vick

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by brandonsneed, Aug 18, 2011.

1. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

Liked it a lot. Didn't see a thread here, so I thought I'd share.

The Impossible, Inevitable Redemption of Michael Vick: http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201109/michael-vick-gq-september-2011-interview?currentPage=1

And a podcast with GQ in which Leitch discusses said piece: http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201109/michael-vick-will-leitch-podcast-interview

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Will, great piece.

The dogs could not be reached for comment.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

4. pickensp

pickensp New Member

Vick sure isn't lacking for confidence these days is he?

5. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

Wonder if he didn't have a chance to before his deadline—which, I'm guessing, would've been before August, which is when the Philly mag story ran.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Deadspin pulled out that section as the most interesting, and I agree. That's called collusion.

Anyway, I disagree that this was a fluff piece. Maybe the Philadelphia magazine piece was a fluff piece, but Leitch more or less stayed out of the opinion business and let Vick speak for himself. It's not a great feature, but it's also not a fluff piece.

7. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

I think if you call this a puff piece, you may not have read it very thoroughly.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Excellent piece. A great moment in journalism. Fantastic story.

Draft saved Draft deleted