1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Leitch does anti-ESPN book

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bill Brasky, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Ahhh Fen, you forget "Atlantis"

"And they called it...ATLANTIS"

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

If you want to write a book slamming ESPN's programming practices, etc., I could see that. But a book exposing the sideshows of the anchors? Wow...what could be more uninteresting?

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Oh, it's inside baseball, all right . . . and outside of this board, the audience for such isn't huge.

Still, I'd pay to see a trial if (say . . . ) Salisbury steak sued for defamation.

Cross-examination can be fun.

4. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

A book slamming ESPN's programming practices would have to come in volumes, like an encyclopedia.

However, this book seems kind of childish as mentioned before.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

This book seems like the ultimate d_b.

Hey... wait a minute... has anybody ever seen Leitch and d_b in the same room together?

The only thing Van Pelt should be lit up for is his judgment in women. He was funny -- she didn't get it. Then she released his message on the internet. She's not cool. He very much is.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

This guy and thebiglead can shampoo my crotch.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Will Leitch is reporting that Prodigy is the hot new Internet site. More on this story as it develops.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

Remember the fact, also, that Mike Freeman was also rejected from a job at ESPN.
    There are often agendas with these books.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Que TBL (BLOGS!) saying that he's just the messenger, don't shoot the messenger.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Leitch's book isn't solely about ESPN. I think some of you are getting confused by the Post story.

It's called God Save the Fan, and is populist, take-back-the-game rant that will include anecdotes about ESPN clowns, but hardly focus on them.

http://www.amazon.com/God-Save-Fan-Sportscasters-Quarterback/dp/0061351784

If nothing else, it will help settle a recent debate I had with a friend. (Can Leitch really write?) He referred to Will Leitch as the "best sports writer in America" which sent me into a blind rage.

"Blogging the way he does takes talent," he said.

"Sure, but not nearly as much talent as it takes to write a 5,000 profile," I said.

"That's subjective," he responded.

"Not really," I replied.

"He matters," my friend said.

"Name one thing Will has "written" recently that you would use as an example to prove he's the best sports writer in America," I asked.

(Silence.)

"No disrespect to Leitch, who is very good at what he does, but you don't have a clue what you're talking about," I said.

"I still think he's the best," my friend said.

(Sound of me beating myself over the head with my keyboard.)

And ... scene!

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Clearly, DD, the best thing to do would be to get a new friend.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Shhh, DD, don't try to stop the stampede to rip on this book by pointing out it's not just a catalog of ESPNers misdeeds.

Draft saved Draft deleted