1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Joe Torre get roasted like Spree?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twoback, Oct 20, 2007.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If their world series titles depended on a certain chemistry between specific players, then why pay a manager $8 million a year. What you are saying is that it was the players who made them win. It's bad business to pay a manager who is, apparently, inconsequential.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The amount didn't matter in the Pulitzer/World Series hypothetical I was suggesting above.

The amount was the very crux of the issue with Sprewell, because he said he couldn't feed his family on a gazillion per year - an insult to every wage-earner in America.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

“I told you I needed to feed my family. They offered me 3 years at $21 million. That’s not going to cut it. And I’m not going to sit here and continue to give my children food while this front office takes money out of my pocket. If Taylor wants to see my family fed, he better cough up some money. Otherwise, you’re going to see these kids in one of those Sally Struthers commercials soon.”

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

And now we've come full circle, because Twoback suggested at the beginning that there was more similarity between Torre and Sprewell than most of us recognized. It's true that Sprewell's comments were ridiculous and much more inflammatory than Torre's, of course. But the similarity is that both men showed a loss of perspective in regards to the sick amount of money they'd been offered. Torre struck the same note as Sprewell when he said he was insulted by a $3 million incentive. But because it was Torre, and because he said it in a subtler way, hardly anyone pointed that out.

And by the way, after reading Sprewell's quotes, is it possible that they were tongue-in-cheek? Maybe he really is that big an asshole, but the Sally Struthers stuff suggests to me that he might have been partly joking.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Joe, The woman Sprewell has five children with had to sue (and won) to get child support payments from him.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

A professional athlete with five children from the same woman? Rookie. ...

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I know, but the part about them turning up on Sally Struthers commercials reads like an attempt at humor.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Me!

But your example is full of holes.
    First of all, before I'm called in, even on an economy of scale, I've got to be making more than everybody else in the business. Even if you take out the big-money columnists like Mr. Tony and Lupy and J-Dub, I'd still have to be making a chunk. Then, I'd have to be in the position where I'm given remarkable advantages -- beyond my salary -- toward the winning of said Pulitzer Prize. Essentially, I'd get an unlimated travel budget (comparable to the Yankees' unlimited player payroll and development money) and probably a staff to assist the work.
    What are the odds that any of us would be in that circumstance?
    Nice try, though.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The offer was made to be turned down. That in itself is insulting.

And really, blame Torre all you want. Given the resources at his disposal, Brian Cashman did a lousy job putting this team together.

Draft saved Draft deleted