1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Joe Torre get roasted like Spree?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twoback, Oct 20, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Stick Michael is absolutely the link.. and that link got broken when Rudy's boy Levine got George's ear.

Meanwhile, where is Derek Jeter in all this? Out partying in LA:

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20153407,00.html

Guess he was very distraught about Mr. Torre leaving

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Whata leader. Whata captain.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Strictly for comparison's sake: In 10 years, should this happen to the Mets, David Wright will certainly not be at the clubs, while his manager is thrown under the bus. No fucking way that happens.

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

You're putting words in my mouth. I never said the manager who wins the Series should be the highest-paid and everyone else should take a pay cut. I said that the Yankees' expectations are clearly to win the Series on a regular basis. It's not the only measure of success, but for the Yankees, who shell out such big money, it is clearly not acceptable to go 7 years without a Series win and four straight without even getting out of the first round. Torre knows that. It's part of the deal. When he was winning championships, the Yankees paid him accordingly. Now that he's not, why should they keep paying him the same money? The incentives he was insulted about made perfect sense. The Yankees were saying, "If you get back to winning the Series like you used to, you'll get paid for it like you used to. Otherwise, you'll have to take less." Torre didn't like that setup, which is certainly his right, but I don't want to hear him talk about being insulted by a multi-million offer. Not when he's failed to do what he's being paid for seven straight times.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Quick show of hands:

Your boss calls you into her office. Says, "We're incentivizing your performance. We're cutting your pay by 1/3. You might make it all back, though, if you win the Pulitzer Prize - again."

How many of us don't use the word "insulting" later in the day to describe that offer to family and friends?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Anyone?

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's a great example, although I think it's a little different in our positions, assuming we probably don't all make $5 million a year. But I'd be extremely insulted even at the notion of that happening to me.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Thank you. I probably should have just said it this way. But I guess this is why you are an admiral and I am a Boatswain's Mate.

8. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

If my boss had said to me years ago, "We're different from other papers. We pay off on Pulitzer Prizes. Since you've won a bunch of them, we're going to make you the highest paid writer in the business. Keep up the great work."

Seven years later, I haven't kept up the great work. I haven't won another Pulitzer and my contract is up. If my boss says, "You know the deal. No Pulitzer, no top dollar. We're gonna have to cut your salary."

I'd have no right to feel insulted. Especially if I was going to have to make do on $5 mil.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

[​IMG]

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The amount doesn't matter. These are economies of scale.

And unless Torre's contract actually specified the winning of the World Series each year as a necessary component of satisfying his contract, your comparison doesn't hold.

11. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I refer to the amount because this thread began as a comparison between Torre and Sprewell, who was roasted for turning his nose up at an amount of money most of us would kill for. Torre has done the same thing.

And regardless of the language of the contract, Torre knew what the Yankees' expectations were. They may have been unrealistic, but that's what he signed on for. There is no other manager who would have survived 7 straight years in NY without even a trip to the Series other than Torre, and the reason he survived is because of his previous track record and because of his class and dignity. But at some point the Yanks have a right to decide that's not enough. Like I said, he has every right to walk away, but insulted? No, not when he received more patience from Yankee management than any other manager would have.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If the amount didn't matter, then why on earth did people get upset at Sprewell?

Draft saved Draft deleted