1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Joe Torre get roasted like Spree?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twoback, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'd like to see that Floating Turd, i. e. Randy Levine go down to the fucking dugout and manage next year's Yankees, and see how he does.

Being an ex-Rudy towel boy qualifies him for . . . well . . . NOTHING.

As will be broadly evidenced, in the next couple of years.

Welcome to 1965, kiddies.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

The Donnie Baseball managerial era will rival the Donnie Baseball playing career .. and we all know how many post-season series the Yankees won during that era.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Torre's proven how good a manager he can be when he righted the ship this season and brought a team back from the dead into the postseason, then the magic ran out.
    Torre doesn't need a contract with incentives.
    What they should start doing is putting these team incentives into the player contracts, instead of statistical incentives.

4. EStreetJoe

Hank Steinbrenner blasts Torre:
    http://www.nypost.com/seven/10212007/news/nationalnews/boss_jr__fires_a_spitball_at_i.htm

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Have you looked at Torre's postseason record lately? How can you say he's just as capable a manager today as he was 5 years ago? The October results don't bear that out. Torre used to win World Series. Now he doesn't. He's also pushing 70. But he's not on the decline? The Yankees should give him a multi-year, guaranteed contract based on what, exactly?

The Yankees made him the highest paid manager clearly expecting him to continue to win World Series. He hasn't done that. When you continually fall short of your employer's expectations, how can you complain about getting your salary reduced or about your boss making some of that money contingent upon your meeting his expectations? The Yankees don't want to keep paying top-dollar for first-round flameouts. As nice a guy as Torre is, I think that's reasonable.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You need players you can win with, not me-first choke artists like A-Rod and Rajah.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Two questions:

A. When did the Yankees last win the World Series?
    B. When did Randy Levine become president of the Yankees?

A. 2000
    B. 2001

Coincidence?

8. EStreetJoe

There was a special chemistry those World Series teams had the teams of the last 6 years haven't had. Those teams also had guys like Tino and O'Neill that brought certain intangibles to the field and the clubhouse that they haven't been able to replace.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

And Girardi. ...

10. EStreetJoe

That's right.... him too

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Plus, it's impossible to structure contracts based on "world series wins." One manager wins a world series every year. Your argument is that that manager should become the highest-paid manager and everyone else should take a commensurate pay cut. It's not feasible ... and a world series win actually isn't the only measure of how good a manager is. The Yankees consistently went out on the free agent market and tried to buy the best players when I was growing up (throughout the 1980s). They didn't win championships then, either. And it wasn't the manager's faults.

What I said is true. Torre is just as capable a manager as he was 8 years ago. Manager's skills don't decline, the way players' do. And that is germane to the discussion of Latrell Sprewell, because in Sprewell's case, his skills had declined. That is something players' face that managers don't, and it's why a player at the end of the rope--but who still may have a little left--is often offered a reduced salary to play a reduced role. Torre wasn't being asked to take a reduced role. He was being asked to do the same job.

Secondly, what keeps getting lost in all of this is that Torre didn't come close to the asinine thing Sprewell said about not being able to feed his kids on $7 million a year, the owner being responsible for his kids and his kids ending up on a Sally Struthers commercials. The first time Torre says anything close to that, then you can reasonably start a thread like this.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Spnited, You are probably onto something. I think Gene Michael is the link, though. The Yankees that won were a product of Gene Michael. He was a smart voice that helped build a great team that saw the something in players like Scott Brosius and Paul O'Neil, and knew he didn't have to pay for the shiniest free-agent position players. He also knew how to put together a pitching staff, because a murderer's row lineup can feast on the weak teams during the regular season and make the playoffs, but it is going to lose in the playoffs almost every time.

Draft saved Draft deleted