1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Joe Torre get roasted like Spree?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twoback, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Once again, the incentives were worth $3 million.
    If that's an insult, I'm Leona Helmsley.
    To call that an "insult" shows horrendous judgment, and he deserves similar treatment to what Sprewell got. But make sure you keep guard, Spnited, and don't let anyone past the gate.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I'm going back out to the river.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm going to work.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Numbnuts, it wasn't the incentives. It was how the incentives were written. An extra million for playoff round won. Like he was not trying to win those games?

Since 2001, the Yankees haven't been built for October. They've been built for regular season dominance. That's not Torre's fault. That's on Brian Cashman and Steinbrenner and the Tampa Collection Of Foofs.

Torre's also insulted about managing the Yankees for 12 years without missing the playoffs, and only getting an offer for a one-year deal at reduced money.

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Ragu, you said Sprewell was overpaid by any measure. Couldn't the same be said of Torre? Why should he have been the highest paid manager in the game when he kept failing to get past the first round with the highest payroll in the league? Sprewell went to the Finals with the Knicks and the T'wolves went farther into the postseason with him than they ever had before. What have those franchises done since he left, except lose?

For those who make the distinction between being insulted by incentives vs. salary, that's distinction without a difference. Torre was insulted by the Yankees offer because he thought it was beneath him. Same with Sprewell. The two situations are quite similar in that very narrow area -- both guys treated a sum of money most of us would kill for as though they were being offered minimum wage. Yet Torre gets portrayed as a proud man done wrong, and Sprewell as a greedy bastard, for essentially the same act.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actually, Torre was clearer than that if I remember it correctly. He said the idea that they thought they had to motivate him with incentives is what he found insulting.

And it's not "horrendous" judgement when he has been almost universally admired for it.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I spent the day on the deck, reading a book. One dog on one side, the other on the other when she wasn't chasing the ball. What a perfect afternoon.
    I wandered in now and then to check on scores and post something stupid.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Sprewell was overpaid because he was old and on the decline and was riding out a contract that was still paying him based on his abilities when he was younger, quicker and a better player. And by the end of that contract, he could no longer perform as he had been able to a few years before, so as I said, he was overpaid by any measure.

Managers don't have a limited window of opportunity before their skills erode. Torre is just as capable a manager today as he was 5 years ago. Torre was overpaid, in the sense that you can command a much larger contract to do the same job for the Yankees than you can for another team. But he got the money he got and it isn't like he was insulted that the Kansas City Royals were offering him a deal at less money than the Yankees had been paying him. This was the same job. If the Yankees were willing to pay him $7 million for this past season, 3 years ago, there is nothing to suggest that his skills are worse now than they were then, and that as a result of not being able to perform as well, he was deserving of less salary. Torre will give you the same managing job tomorrow that he was able to give a year ago. The same can't be said of Latrell Sprewell as he hit his mid to late 30s.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

That's ridiculous.
    All incentives are in place for people who are trying to attain the goals that are set.
    You think salesmen are trying to sell their goods?
    You think quarterbacks don't want to start games?
    You put in incentive clauses because you don't want to pay top dollar unless those goals are met. How is winning playoff games any different than any other incentive?
    Oh, of course.
    Joe Torre.
    Nice man.
    But today, highly "insulted."

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I give up. Pretty much everyone on this thread has explained why you're wrong and why the offer was insulting. And you don't seem capable or willing to ponder a different point of view.

So...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

[​IMG]

Or you could go fly a kite. Either way.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If it was insulting, too fucking bad. Even without the incentives, he is the highest paid manager in baseball, right? He certainly wasn't getting it done the way the current contract was set up. He is paid to win WS titles, or at a minimum, get to the world series. He is given resources the other managers can just dream about.

Torre was fired three times by other ballclubs when he didn't have the biggest payroll by a factor of 2x or 3x times. He is paid to make a mark in the postseason. If an incentive insults him, boo fucking hoo.

Any time a multi multi millionaire gets a contract that makes him the highest paid person in his profession *before the incentives*, and uses the word "insult" in any way shape or form, he is in the Sprewell area code. JMO.

Draft saved Draft deleted