1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Joe Torre get roasted like Spree?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twoback, Oct 20, 2007.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

An offer "designed to be rejected" is, by definition, an insult.

And Torre didn't even use the word (ed. except in reference to the incentive part of the deal).

So is there really any more to say?

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

He absolutely used the word.
    I was pretty sure that'd be the reaction here.
    Wear a suit.
    Be nice to the media.
    Get a free pass.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Could've worn overalls, I wouldn't have cared.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yes, It's the fact that Torre was wearing a suit. It has nothing to do with the fact that Sprewell--a guy who once pulled a gun on a teammate, has had multiple reckless driving incidents including one in which he flipped two cars and one in which he threatened a cop, an incident in which he tried to punch a woman who puked on his yacht (which has since been repossessed)... and, um, choked his coach--said:

“I told you I needed to feed my family. They offered me 3 years at $21 million. That’s not going to cut it. And I’m not going to sit here and continue to give my children food while this front office takes money out of my pocket. If Taylor wants to see my family fed, he better cough up some money. Otherwise, you’re going to see these kids in one of those Sally Struthers commercials soon.”

And it has nothing to do with the fact that Torre accomplished way more as manager of the Yankees than Sprewell had as a player for the Timberwolves.

The people on this board are applying a double standard, according to you, and not surprisingly (since you actually believe there is a double standard) you knew they were going to not agree before you even posted something equating two ridiculously nonparallel situations.

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Twoback has a point, although he overstates it. Both men turned down millions, essentially saying the offer was beneath them. One got roasted for being arrogant and greedy, the other got praised for principled and dignified. Torre doesn't deserve the same amount of bashing that Sprewell got, because his statements weren't as inflammatory. But pointing out that both men were offered a fortune and took it as an insult isn't at all ridiculous, and the reasons we react differently to essentially the same action aren't all logical.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You don't think SOMEBODY in the season's-much-too-long league might have tried to reach middle ground on $ w/Spree, were he worth anything in the neighborhood of what he was asking?

Gee -- NOBODY DID!

Guys doing the hiring don't really want to go out of their way, much, in the cash department, to acquire such a questionable good.

Yeah, he could play. He had talent. He had useful skills. No doubt. But the history and baggage negates so, so much of that.

Next

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Sprewell was insulted at the amount of the offer.

Torre was insulted that the Yankees thought they had to incentivize his will to win.

Huge difference.

Not comparable.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Sure they are.

In addition to the differences in the two cases -- as eloquently stated by others -- logic suggests a person who is a success and a gentleman is treated differently than an asshole and a divider. Wasn't that covered on the many Barry Bonds threads?

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Joe, I think both of you are missing the point. It is the statement that Sprewell made that got him ridiculed--he said he can't feed his family... The owner is responsible for his kids, because he is not going to feed them now... look for his kids on a Sally Struthers commercials, etc.

It wasn't JUST the fact that he was insulted by the offer. It was the fact that he was insulted when the pay cut was actually justified by just about any measure. He was way overpaid at $14.5 million a year. And his skills were in decline. This is all backed up by the fact that he hasn't been able to buy his way into the NBA since then at ANY price... and they have been repossessing items from him while he remains an unemployed basketball player.

Torre was making twice as much as any manager and even at $5 million plus incentives he would have been making more than any manager. But he is not Sprewell. For him to say that based on his record in NY, a pay cut was an insult is not all that out there. Torre was not an aging basketball player whose skills had declined precipitously. He's as capable today as the guy who took his team to the playoffs 12 years in a row and won four world championships. You might disagree about whether it was an insult, but it's not a ridiculous thing for someone who has achieved that kind of success to say -- and he didn't say it in an stupid way, a la, "I can't feed my kids, blah blah, Sally Struthers."

Unlike Sprewell who might even have trouble buying a ticket to a basketball game at this point, if Torre decides he wants to manage again, there will be a job waiting for him somewhere. He won't earn what the Yankees could pay, but in that same news conference in which he called their treatment an insult, he also said it wasn't about the money, it was about a respect and feeling as if he is wanted.

The two situations, the prospects of each man when they made their statements, and the actual statements, couldn't be more different.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Torre's going to be Berra Redux, in a slightlydifferent key . . . a decent guy, eventually struck dumb by the utter arrogance of the Steinbrenner family and their associated lackeys.

Hope he stays away from the Bronx for at least a decade.

Live long and prosper, Mister.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

obvious correction made

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Very true, Ben

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkyNjgmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcyMTAyNDImeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Draft saved Draft deleted