1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Joe Torre get roasted like Spree?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twoback, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

What is it now, three years that Latrell Sprewell has been a national punchline for his "feed my family" line?
    I'll be waiting to see if any journalists/commentators make as much sport of Torre for saying it was an "insult" to be offered an incentive-laden one-year deal with a guaranteed FIVE MILLION.
    I'm betting against it.
    Was it a "get-lost" offer? Absolutely.
    But you don't tell a nation of people making an average of $55,000 that $5 million is an "insult."
    Joe Torre, you are as big a joke as Spree.
    J-Dub, this one's on a tee for you. Be my guest, hit it out of the park.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Spree long ago lost touch with reality.

Given his job history, Chubbo Levine's final offer was an insult . . . one designed to be rejected.

Wholly different situations/circumstances.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Ben, please don't try to explain this situation to someone who can't even get the basic facts right. It's a waste of time

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Not at all. When smart people look at the incentive-based, one-year deal with no room to negotiate for a person who led his team into the postseason every years (all 12 of them), won four World Series titles and who's under the constant scrutiny -- not from the media, but his boss -- of Joe Torre, they'll understand why he rejected it.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Wish I had read that before.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Show me Spree's first championship on any level, and I might buy your shtick.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

1997-1998 Choker Of The Year.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Uh-huh.
    Which basic facts were those?
    I know it was designed to be rejected. I said that in the intial post. Calling it an insult puts Torre in Sprewell territory, except that that the key here is that he's a "gentleman" and wore a suit while he tossed a big (figurative) middle finger at middle America.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They are no-where near analogous situations. Managing, unlike playing, is not a job with a limited shelf life. A manager isn't reliant on his physical skills, so his effectiveness doesn't decrease when he passes his limited prime year. A manager's effectiveness also can't be decreased by injuries, the way an athlete's can. That is what Sprewell was facing, which is why he was facing a decrease in pay and lack of interest in his services from other teams. Secondly, Torre rejected a contract offer. He didn't say anything stupid like, "How the hell do they expect me to feed my family on $5 million a year?" That was the disconnect between Sprewell and fans, who laughed at what was a dumbass statement. Third, Sprewell wasn't a beloved athlete because of his past behavior and the fact that he hadn't entrenched himself with one team and had unprecedented success. Torre had. No offense, but it's a ridiculous analogy -- which is why no one else is making it.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Basic fact that you got wrong:

Torre did not say that $5 million was an insult.
    What he said was: "If somebody offers you a 33% pay cut, they must not be happy with the job you're doing."

What he said was: "I had been there 12 years and I didn't think motivation was needed. The incentives, I took as an insult."

If you think that puts him in Spree territory, you are clueless.

12. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I can't say it any better than spnited, so I won't try. The Twoback opinion is a joke.

Draft saved Draft deleted