1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will he use his one phone call to report a score?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by e_bowker, Dec 15, 2010.

1. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

Sadly, this happened in our neck of the woods. Assistant coach at a private school made a run to the bank at lunchtime -- and robbed it. They tracked down his getaway minivan within 10 minutes and caught him after a short chase.
    Guy coached junior high basketball and was an assistant for the football team. Turns out he also served five years previously for another bank robbery (was released from prison in 2000) and was charged with embezzlement from a Waffle House two years ago but made restitution.
    Needless to say, his coaching days appear to be over unless Leavenworth has a team.
    I'd link to the story, but our paper has a pay wall. So here's the AP brief:

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If he embezzled every dime from the Waffle House, he must have gotten 20 or 30 bucks.

3. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

Amazingly, he embezzled over $3,000. Must've worked there for a couple years.

4. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Sorry coach, we can't take phone calls. You have to e-mail your score to us.

5. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Embezzling a Waffle House is on my bucket list

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Wait - He got charged with embezzlement from a Waffle House two years ago but he was still coaching? That strikes me as odd. Do they do background checks for coaches and teachers and other support staff where you are? Would that type of arrest trigger a district to not hire him normally? When I substitute taught, the district I was at made me get a background check to prove I had no recent arrests or outstanding warrants.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

This has nothing to do with this story, but allows me to post this video. Today my dad walked uptown in my old no-stoplight hometown and a bunch of police cars swarmed around a house and a car. He saw an "old woman" and a young guy getting hauled away. Turns out they'd robbed the bank of a nearby town, then got captured. You only see the back of the woman's head but she looks like a grandma. It's a Harold and Maude situation or something. Dad was also excited because he got to talk to a "pretty reporter."

He is not the guy interviewed in this story, though it is a classic eyewitness report from a guy who should have been an extra in Fargo.

http://www.keyc.tv/node/45079

8. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

That's the million dollar question right now. Apparently they didn't do one, for two reasons:
    1) It's a private school and they're not required to. Doesn't mean they shouldn't have, but they don't have to. Unfortunately, being a private school also means they're circling the wagons and not talking.
    2) He was a part-timer who wasn't teaching at the school, just coaching. So it seems they don't do background checks on non-teachers. Also, he had just been brought in this year. As far as I know he wasn't coaching anything in this town until maybe a year or so ago when he started working with a youth football team.

News side is digging into the guy's background. I think there's a fascinating story there if we can get the right people to talk, but that might be easier said than done.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If I'm going embezzle someplace, it's not going to be Waffle House. Then again, this was Mississippi and, yes, I've eaten there a few times (including once on Christmas Day when nothing else was open).

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

1. Stacy Steinhagen needs a LOT less hair.

2. They really did a news report with NO verification from authorities of what those people were arrested for? It's all "No confirmation, but these two people were arrested and a bank was supposedly robbed, though no one confirmed that either, and I'm just going to speculate this is what they were arrested for?"

11. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

I've done the same. We ate lunch at the in-laws, took a nap and woke up hungry around dinner time. Didn't feel like cooking and went to the Waffle House. The place was packed. We actually went to a different one a couple miles away because we didn't feel like waiting for a table.
    T

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Everytime my wife goes with me to Minnesota she's always stunned by the hair the women haul around. It's my 1993 yearbook brought back to life.

Yeah, not the greatest sourcing there (for what it's worth my dad says the reporter is even prettier in person). But things did happen really fast, we know this. I just love the witness. the only thing missing is, "Well, then this one funny-looking fella came out."

KEYC is a classic station. Growing up, we'd watch the sports but you could never trust the scores, as the graphics always got messed up. You'd need confirmation from a second source to believe that the Wolves beat the Bulls or that Mankato lost in a boys basketball showdown. They also, for a short time, had a weatherman who apparently had never appeared on TV before joining the station. Bob. He became a cult hero. One night he crushed a mosquito on his forehead during the telecast, and it's blood-filled corpse stuck to his head as he gave the five-day forecast.

Draft saved Draft deleted