1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Ferrell - Impressions?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gold, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Stiller's getting some unfair criticism.
    He was over the top in the mediocre 'Dodgeball' and the almost entirely unfunny 'Zoolander.'
    But he was funny doing to slow burn in 'Meet the Parents' and funny as the sincere bungler in 'Something about Mary.'

2. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Will Ferrell is Jim Carrey .. only a decade later.

3. chester

chester Member

To me, Stiller played the same kind of character in Dodgeball and Zoolander. In Meet the Parents and Something about Mary, he seemed like he played the same kind of character - only a different kind of character than the first two – in those two. That's just my opinion.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Ferrell and Stiller are alike in that both are as good as their material.

That sounds obvious, but you have plenty of examples both ways. Some actors save bad material. Others drag down good material.

These two -- you get what you probably should out of the project.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But Stiller is responsible for more of his own material than Ferrell is . And IMHO, Ben Stiller is worth A chuckle on a good day -- in his own movies.

6. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

When he goes to the old guy's house in the deleted scenes is probably funnier than any scene in the movie, and I loved the movie.

I think I'm going to have to watch 40 Year Old Virgin again, because I've only seen it once and it didn't do much for me. But like others have said Anchorman grew on me with each viewing. Another big thing is I watched 40 by myself and I think comedies are always funnier when you watch them with people.

7. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

I'm a diehard Ferrell fan.
    Critics praise his acting chops given his slap-stick humor.

Elf is my favorite Ferrell movie.
    Anchorman was OK.
    Bewitched was bad.
    Kicking and Screaming was bad, but he had a couple of hilarious scenes.

But overall, I agree he seems to flourish more as a supporting actor:Old School, Wedding Crashers, The Producers, Starsky and Hutch, Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (Mustafa), Zoolander.

Draft saved Draft deleted