1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Ferrell - Impressions?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gold, Apr 6, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

He kicks ass, and like most good comics, he's very smart.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

And those three names bring a great point... All three of those guys have done comedy albums (ohmigosh casty, we're using the word "album") which were great. Could you put Will Ferrell's stuff on an album and have a great album?

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Ferrell isn't a standup comedian. He's a movie guy.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

IJAG, Don't really care to argue it--other than offering my opinion--but I thought Anchorman was OK, definitely not genius. I was soooooo excited for it when I first saw the previews. The movie left me feeling like there was something great there that wasn't realized in the execution.

I'm not a huge Will Ferrell fan. He's mostly bad schtick to me. Always an over-the-top character, as someone pointed out, similar to Ben Stiller. You just have to be funnier than he is--like Eddie Murphy in his prime funny--to be able to pull that off for me. Otherwise, I prefer more subtle humor.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

exactly!! hey, it's hard keeping up with pop culture at my age. it's even harder for my man casty, apparently.

i only hope you're as cool as i am when you're my age, ijag... in 30 years or so!!

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

shockey, I would have to triple my coolness to get to your level. I'm not confident.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ferrell was friggin hilarious in "Kicking and Screaming." I HAVE A CARD!!!!

I thought "Anchorman" would be overrated, but holy moley, that is one funny movie.

And Buck is right, "Wedding Crashers" (pretty overrated on its own) was lagging when Ferrell appeared, but he gave it a much-needed boost. MA!!! THE MEAT LOAF! FUCK!!!!

"Old School" is one of the funniest movies ever made. I'll admit Ferrell is only part of the reason for its sheer hilarity.

8. The Big Ragu

BYH, Rare disagreement here. Vince Vaughn kills me in Wedding Crashers.I just wanted to punch Will Ferrell in the face. The character wasn't funny to me. Actually annoyed me.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

ragu

may i ask if you saw "anchorman" more than once? i ask because i didn't get it much on first viewing. but because the three idiot sons made me watch it more than once, i grew to like it more and more. but i understand if it's not anyone's cup of tea.

10. The Big Ragu

shockey, Yeah. Seen it a zillion times on cable. It's OK. It's not that it's not my cup of tea. Anything spoofing on the 70s is right up my alley. I can just name a lot of movies that are much funnier. I was disappointed mostly because there was something great there that wasn't quite realized.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He is funnier in theory to me than he is on screen. His movies are usually well written, but I am always aware that I'm watching Will Ferrell as a NASCAR driver or Will Ferrell as a 70s TV news guy. He overwhelms with the way that he portrays his roles.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I never get that. I have never once gone into a movie and thought "Who is that playing that character?" when it's a well-known person. It's DeNiro as a gangsta or it's Hanks washed up on a beach or it's Ferrell in Anchorman. Am I alone?

Draft saved Draft deleted