1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Ferrell - Impressions?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gold, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Gold

Gold Active Member

I don't think I have seen any of his movies. They usually are PG-13 and I have younger kids in the house; it's partly a question of not having a lot of time to see movies.

I'm curious what other people think. I have always had the impression that you can take three to five minutes of one of his movies and make a preview that is hysterically funny, but if you watched the whole movie there wasn't much there.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Two words:

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I'm not a Will Ferrell fan.
    He totally lost me during the Ricky Bobby saga in which he did an advertisment for some cell phone and screamed repeatedly during a 30 second spot. It wasn't funny, Will.
  4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Only part I really found amusing in Talladegga Nights was the "Dear Lord, baby Jesus" parts.

I think he's better when he's not in the lead role of the movie (i.e. Old School) or plays cameos (i.e. Wedding Crashers).
  5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I love Will Ferrell and have most of his movies on DVD, including the two "Best of" SNL videos. I know some people hate him, but I can't understand why.
  6. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

agree completely. alone he tries to hard. on the side, he's pretty good. great on snl, too.
  7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I haven't seen 'Talladega Nights' and have little desire to.
    I haven't seen 'Elf' and have no desire to.
    'Stranger than Fiction' was not good but not bad.
    'Anchorman' was a riot, although I expected not to like it.
    'Old School' was a riot.
    'Wedding Crashers' was funny, but was lsoing steam by the time he made his appearance.
    'Winter Passing' was good.
  8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Same reason I like Adam Sandler in most of his movies, yet some people hate him.
  9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Anchorman -- FUNNY!
    Talladega Nights -- FUNNY!
    Old School -- NOT THAT FUNNY!
    Elf -- KINDA FUNNY!
    Zoolander -- AMUSING!
  10. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I'm sorry I don't do impressions. I'm a doctor [airplane 2]
  11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I can do one, but I don't think it'll work on a message board.

"I'll have three fingers of Glenlivet, with a little bit of pepper (pause) and some cheese."
  12. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

Anchorman was funny as hell and Ferrell was the best thing about the somewhat overrated Old School. Elf, basically a kids movie, is pretty good. And I agree that some of his cameos are great.

But I think lately he's slipping into Sandler cruise control mode where every subsequent movie becomes a carbon copy of the last. I have no desire to see Blades of Glory, he's done that character before.
Draft saved Draft deleted