1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Ferrell - Impressions?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gold, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Gold

Gold Active Member

I don't think I have seen any of his movies. They usually are PG-13 and I have younger kids in the house; it's partly a question of not having a lot of time to see movies.

I'm curious what other people think. I have always had the impression that you can take three to five minutes of one of his movies and make a preview that is hysterically funny, but if you watched the whole movie there wasn't much there.

Thoughts?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Two words:

NOT FUNNY!

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I'm not a Will Ferrell fan.
    He totally lost me during the Ricky Bobby saga in which he did an advertisment for some cell phone and screamed repeatedly during a 30 second spot. It wasn't funny, Will.

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Only part I really found amusing in Talladegga Nights was the "Dear Lord, baby Jesus" parts.

I think he's better when he's not in the lead role of the movie (i.e. Old School) or plays cameos (i.e. Wedding Crashers).

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I love Will Ferrell and have most of his movies on DVD, including the two "Best of" SNL videos. I know some people hate him, but I can't understand why.

6. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

agree completely. alone he tries to hard. on the side, he's pretty good. great on snl, too.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I haven't seen 'Talladega Nights' and have little desire to.
    I haven't seen 'Elf' and have no desire to.
    'Stranger than Fiction' was not good but not bad.
    'Anchorman' was a riot, although I expected not to like it.
    'Old School' was a riot.
    'Wedding Crashers' was funny, but was lsoing steam by the time he made his appearance.
    'Winter Passing' was good.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Same reason I like Adam Sandler in most of his movies, yet some people hate him.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Anchorman -- FUNNY!
    Talladega Nights -- FUNNY!
    Old School -- NOT THAT FUNNY!
    Elf -- KINDA FUNNY!
    Zoolander -- AMUSING!

10. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I'm sorry I don't do impressions. I'm a doctor [airplane 2]

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I can do one, but I don't think it'll work on a message board.

"I'll have three fingers of Glenlivet, with a little bit of pepper (pause) and some cheese."

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Anchorman was funny as hell and Ferrell was the best thing about the somewhat overrated Old School. Elf, basically a kids movie, is pretty good. And I agree that some of his cameos are great.

But I think lately he's slipping into Sandler cruise control mode where every subsequent movie becomes a carbon copy of the last. I have no desire to see Blades of Glory, he's done that character before.

Draft saved Draft deleted