1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

will ferrell/green day on snl 5/16

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, May 16, 2009.

1. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Meyers is the head writer, and like Tina Fey before him, anchors WU but appears in little else.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

See, I don't think they try to look like teens. Maybe it's because they already look dead. But Green Day gave off this "We're rebelling against the establishment!" thing when...they're the establishment.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

They realize that. It's satire.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

A few notes for the possibly uninitiated:

1. The Wade Blasingame commercial (the one about suing dogs), is archived from when Ferrell was actually on the show.

2. The Kathie Lee gag is related to her job on the "fourth hour of" the Today Show with co-host Hoda Kotb (whose name Kathie Lee has made fun of in every sketch impression Wiig has done of her).

3. Anne Hathaway is hot. This isn't new information, but I felt like I needed to get that one out there. :D

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Thought the episode was really funny from start to finish. And Green Day was great.

I'm pretty sure the celebrity in question was Elizabeth Moss, who used to be on the West Wing, and I think is on Mad Men now.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Moss does make sense, since she appeared in a cameo earlier in the season and is seeing Fred Armisen. I didn't spot her in that last bit, but I bet it was her.

Nice pull, Deskgrunt.

7. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

My mistake. I meant the Today Show. Sorry, I don't watch either of those shows. Maybe I was confused because IIRC Wiig also does a pretty solid Hasselbeck too. But her Kathie Lee on the Jeopardy skit was pretty good, and her interactions with Hoda (played by one of the new women) are always good, too. The small hands/Welk singers thing is just so damn uncomfortable that I don't find it funny.

8. The last skit was one of the funniest things I've seen on SNL in years. I liked it better than any of the digital shorts or even Celeb Jeopardy this week.

Can't defend it, don't know why. It just struck a chord of weirdness I loved.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

1. I could stand Anne Hathaway on her head and lick her like an ice cream cone all day long.

2. Green Day has matured well. I hated their music in the Dookie era. Now I'll have to torrent buy their CD.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Any definitive ruling on the Amy Poehler question yet?

11. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

See, I liked Dookie and hated everything after. Their new stuff is somewhere in between and I like it.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

dunno and don't much care. i've always liked amy. she looked particularly lovely last night, too. i'm sure just doing update instead of scurrying to take part in skits, too, helped her in that regard. 8) ;) :D

Draft saved Draft deleted