1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

will ferrell/green day on snl 5/16

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, May 16, 2009.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think Dennis Miller did only Update.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Miller appeared in a few skits, but mostly did Update. And damn, normally I fast forward the musical guests, with Green Day I turned the volume UP!. Man are they good.
    I wish SNL could spread this stuff around though. An outstanding episode. I've always thought Chris Parnell was one of the more underrated SNLers. And Forte's "I mention (Obama's) middle name because it matters," had me rolling.
    I thought Horatio Sanz was also in the fake commercial - maybe I'm wrong. Solid show. And the Lawrence Welk skits get me every time, I've seen a few of the PBS re-runs and they're somewhat surreal - totally different universe. I'm surprised Christopher Guest hasn't done a "Welk" mockumentary yet.
    And I don't know how much of the press for Angels and Demons was taped, but Hanks was in New York for Letterman, appeared on Larry King on Friday (I'm guessing that may have been taped) and did SNL tonight.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I agree with everyone who said Green Day was very good.

But hell, they've been very good for 10-plus years.

(BTW, I went to Angels and Demons tonight and slept through much of it.)

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's just odd to see a really good music performance on SNL. No dancing, no lipsynching. No BS.
    I even liked Ferrell's take on Goodnight Saigon. Saw Billy Joel do that number a couple of times in concert and seeing the vets take the stage for the chorus always blew me away.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

No mention yet of the ghost of a certain former Cubs announcer?

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

On SNL or the Mad TV finale?

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It's tough to impersonate a borderline retarded obese alcoholic in search of a trailer park blowjob

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My god, I don't know what it is, but EVERY TIME they do that singing sisters thing, I laugh my ass off. Between the massive forehead, the horrible voice, the awkward looks and the baby hands, I just giggle and giggle and giggle. I can't help it.

And Kathie Lee isn't on The View. I don't know if she ever has been. Are you thinking of Elisabeth Hasselbeck? Or of Good Morning America, which she is on?

EDIT: Today Show, which is the show she's actually on. Oops. Thanks to UPChip who posted it below.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Really?

All I could think while watching those performances was, "Damn, this band *used* to be good."

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

How about TWO other guitarists ... PLUS a keyboard player? I miss when these guys were playing power chords and singing about jacking off.

They seem, so, I dunno ... humorless now. The dour songs. The extra instruments (what, the sousaphone player had the night off?). The "I'm trying too hard to look young even though I'm pushing 40" uniform. This isn't the Green Day I once knew and loved.

I could handle American Idiot. I don't know if I can handle American Idiot 2. I don't think I'll be buying this album. The second song they played on SNL was just dreadful.

Didn't mean to threadjack, though. Loved the episode.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That was what jumped out at me. At some point, you have to stop that.

12. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Pirate Keith Richards and Tightpants Jagger are like, "huh ?"

Draft saved Draft deleted