1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

will ferrell/green day on snl 5/16

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, May 16, 2009.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

You must have missed the LONG unfunny funeral bit.

2. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

It was kinda weird to see the other guitarist up there.

I know it's common for bands to add members for live shows, but it's the first time I've ever seen anyone other than Green Day's three official members.

3. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

I thought the bulk of that funeral bit was great, especially Ferrell and Forte.

"I took the watch."

4. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

The opening was decent, and yes, the "... let's let history be the judge. It's an awesome plan ... because history takes forever" was the line of the night.

Monologue was just OK, but the Lawrence Welk thing was awful. Wiig ruined it, but she really is good as Kathie Lee. I always thought she was way over the top, but I happen to catch parts of The View with the sound off at the gym most days, and she is pretty much spot-on with her expressions.

Jeopardy was tremendous, and Hanks definitely stole that.
    Hanks: South Hampshire
    Trebek: No!
    Hanks: Oh, sorry. What is South Hampshire?
    Too funny. And Catch The Semen and "We can't keep playing if you don't let go of the pickle." Great stuff.
    The grave thing was pretty funny, but it'll never top BOOBS.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Artie Lange was on this? Hmm, in what role? I didn't see this week but it will no doubt be a topic of discussion on Stern this week.

6. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

In the send-off, the last name Ferrell said -- before Darryl Hammond -- sounded like Elizabeth Fox.

Did I hear that right? Who is she?

7. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Loved the Chewbacca suicide note and the "Lil Douchebag" lines on Weekend Update. Is it just me, or is it unusual that Seth is never in any other skits? Is that normal for the WU anchor to do that and nothing else? I should know, since I've been watching for decades, but I just never paid that close attention I guess.

8. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

And am I the only one who noticed the Ferrell as Bo Derek in "10" photo when they came back from commercial before the funeral skit? Wild.

9. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

Yes, that was awesome.

10. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

The funeral skit wasn't terrible (I think the drawn-out nature of it was kind of the point). But Maya Rudolph is NOT funny. Why does she keep showing up? Guess she has nothing better to do.

Green Day was pretty damn good. A pretty solid overall effort, but nowhere near as good as last week's with JT. I'm kind of looking forward to the upcoming Digital Shorts clip show.

Boom, you must have a big-ass TV (no pun intended) if you saw Poehler's crack on Weekend Update.
    And schiez, Artie, Norm, Rudd and Hathaway were just bystanders during some stupid Ferrell song skit. But Artie got a pretty good reception from the crowd. And HJ, I have absolutely no idea who Elizabeth Fox is.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I googled Elizabeth Fox and this is what I came up with:

http://www.elizabethfoxmakeup.com/

12. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

Weird

and hot!

Draft saved Draft deleted