1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Ferrell calls out Pat Forde...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

See, and having helped coach a little league team once, my expectations were through the roof. I suppose once he has kids playing youth league sports he'd be able to make that movie 10,000 times better. There is so much you can do poking fun at youth leagues and the minority of idiotic parents that screw it up for Junior, and he just didn't. It wasn't even close to mediocre.

But Anchorman was phenomenal if you ask me. And I loved Stranger Than Fiction too.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

See, I think older people enjoy the movie even more than younger ones, because we remember the late 70s/early 80s. I found those references in Anchorman to be hilarious.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm 33, but I'm hardly a movie snob... I love movies like Harold and Kumar, Van Wilder, and Road Trip and Eurotrip. Old School is a favorite.

I just think Anchorman was disappointing and all of the funniest scenes were in the preview...

5. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Wait a minute. My world is collapsing here.

So all those times I walked my dog over to campus so he could do his business next to the faux-Gothic makes me a Duke alum?

I'll never recover.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I thought Anchorman, like many Ferrell flicks, was hilarious for the first 30 minutes or so while they're setting up the characters and background, but lost steam when it had to get back into the storyline (though it still had its moments). Damn plots.

EDIT: Woohoo, post #500. Didn't know I was so close. Can a newbie pour me a cold one now?

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Well, you can't really be a Duke alum unless you have a true look-down-nose-at-the-rest-of-the-world attitude.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

:mad: Nice blanket statement, Inky. You're better than this.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm 35 and I think its piss-in-your-pants funny.

10. Anchorman: F'ing hilarious.
    Elf: Christmas comedy classic.
    Forde posting here about his 'duel' with Ferrell: F'ing spectacular.

This may be this newbie's favorite SportsJournalists.com thread ever.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'm wayyyyyyy older than 30, and I thought "Anchorman" was great -- because I actually lived through those times, and wore (some of) those clothes. :D :D

"Old School" was great in the moments it channeled "Animal House."

A lot of Ferrell's other stuff just leaves me flat. Too much of the same stuff. He's marching down the same black hole that threatened to swallow up Jim Carrey for quite a while.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

What year was Elf released? 2004? I'm not looking it up, because it doesn't matter. Mizzou, as many movies as you see, you should know this: Elf was the best movie of that particular year. No question. It was the most inventive movie of that particular year, the scene with Peter Dinklage talking about how much tail he gets was as funny as anything ever on screen, and the only thing that didn't totally work was James Caan's bluffed portrayal of Elf's biological dad.
    Can't believe you missed the genius of that film.

Draft saved Draft deleted