1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Granted, lots more testing in college. My brother the high school athletic director in California says there should be no high school sports for a year. Just shut it down and don't rush back.

Meanwhile, in Colorado yesterday, the state high school association had its first task force meeting and the commissioner said only low-risk sports can go forward, not moderate and high-risk sports.

Parents went ballistic on social media, saying let parents decide, sign a waiver, etc.

So today, the commissioner came back and said she and the organization are going to provide less information and will be less transparent after yesterday's reaction.

As you can imagine, she's getting skewered.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It is amazing how much the virus has revealed the inadequacies and cowardice of those in authority in our country, in places high and low.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

So they were shedding virus among their teammates while practicing.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

How bleeping difficult would it have been to test Tuesday, get results Thursday and practice FRIDAY (without infected players)?

da man likes this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

We've talked about the looming bubble with sports - how people cutting the cord will impact sports TV deals - and I almost wonder if this might work out ok for sports in general as sports broadcasters have struggled during the pandemic. Televised sports have proven to be the most effective way of reaching males between 18-54 for advertisers. I do imagine we will see more pay per game and monthly web subscription options. The big hit though will come from the non big four sports (really three), colleges etc. Probably a better return to repackage Big three material than spend on non-hoop and football college sports.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

If it makes for more regional (and cost-effective) games, it will be a good thing. No reason for the Philly hoops teams not to all play each other again, like in the old Big Five days. There are 7-8 D1 (at least) basketball teams in the DC area, in the LA area, 9-10 in the NYC area, etc. Day of game busride, no overnight trips, more fan interest, regional rivalries rekindled. Hopefully some of those Thanksgiving and Christmas tournaments with no one in the stands will go away.

7. Michael_ Gee

AFAIK, the Big Five teams still all play each other.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My bad, I thought they had stopped a complete round robin. Maybe it was that all the games were no longer at the Palestra.

Anyhow, good for them.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Hell yes. I have season tickets to my alma mater and outside of every other year when the Big Ten/ACC challenge game is at home, the nonconference schedule is akin to the preseason games with an NFL season ticket. Gotta buy them but you can barely give 'em away.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  10. Michael_ Gee

That's right, the games are not necessarily at the Palestra except for the ones Penn plays.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Oklahoma State gets hammered. Banishment from the 2021 NCAA tournament has to sting because they signed the No. 1 prospect in the land.
    So this begs a question. If the Trumpandemic continues and even grows to the point that the 2020-21 season is truncated and fears of another canceled championship begin, will Kansas, NC State, Arizona and others under investigation try to cut deals in which they recuse from the potentially canceled tourney and get credit for time served and all parties consider the matters resolved?

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted