1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I know they got big for money, but I wonder if ALL conferences would consider a realignment where they broke into smaller entities if their revenue sports are deprived of gate money for an academic year or longer.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

This is one way that how they react gets complicated for many college programs. Gundy was already pushing to get players on campus more than OU’s Lincoln Riley. If Gundy is seen as putting getting on with football to the detriment of players, recruiting gets more difficult.

If possible recruits have even the faintest whiff that the program does not support protests for equal treatment by law enforcement, who among them would even think about taking up residence in Stillwater, USA?

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

That’s not the NBA. That’s some weird summer league with NBA players. Not that it won’t be entertaining, but it’s not the NBA.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I think it's a way to get most of the teams to get to 70 regular-season games so they can get the RSN money.

The teams coming back have played between 63 and 67 games. The extra teams are six games or closer behind the No. 8 seed.

I want to see what the regular-season games are going to be. Are they just going to draw matchups out of a hat?

The play in for the No. 9 team if it's within four games of the No. 8 is dumb.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Indeed. It's an absurd solution, and truly taints LeBron's upcoming championship.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Orlando is just lovely in the late summer.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I posted this in the MLB thread, but it's appropriate here as well. If they're going to finish the 2019-20 season on Oct. 12, then how do they handle the 2020-21 season that normally would have started at the same time?
    Are they going to shorten next season and maybe start at Christmas? Use the 2019-20 "postseason" as a de facto preseason for 2020-21, and flow right into after the Finals? How do they handle free agency, the draft, and other offseason league business? If they keep the draft in June, will those players be able to play right away in this restarted season?
    The NHL is going to have a lot of the same issues.
    Seems like it'd be much better to throw in the towel on 2019-20 and just make sure the houses are in order to start on time for 2020-21.

Inky_Wretch and Michael_ Gee like this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I cannot adequately express how much I agree with this post.

Batman and FileNotFound like this.
  10. MileHigh

Draft and free agency will happen in October. 2020-21 might be only a 50-game season like in 1998-99 because of the lockout. But eight teams are looking at no games for nine months.

11. MileHigh

They can't throw in the towel because there are tens of millions of dollars at stake because so much of the season has been played already.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I think if they throw in the towel, they lose a bunch of TV money because teams need to play ≥ 70 games in order to collect.
    The draft question is fascinating. I'm guessing the union will block the arrival of new draftees during the 2020 playoffs in the name of protecting jobs. The draftees will ultimately take veterans' jobs, but it would be kind of cruel to allow that to happen during the playoffs. But I don't know what would happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted