1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Dollars, or cool points?

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

It was coming though. Texas A&M signed Jackie Sherrill to a five year, $1.6 million dollar deal in 1982.

TEXAS A&M SIGNS SHERRILL TO RICHEST COLLEGE PACT

3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Liut and tapintoamerica like this.
  4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Biggest single event in college sports history. Bar none.

Liut and HappyCurmudgeon like this.
  5. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

The school where I used to be the SID was a state school, but not THE school in the state. A similar example would be: The University of Texas-Permian Basin vs. the University of Texas. Our former volleyball coach landed a lot of players by emphasizing the University of Texas part of our name, but not really mentioning the Permian Basin part. So...lots of blind trust on both sides, but sometimes that trust was broken by a coach lacking ethics.

Batman likes this.
  6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Recruiting of internationals for US college sports is ridiculous. You'll never find an age for an Australian punter.

Such a proud moment for my alma mater when a ranked ATP Tour player qualified for the NCAA championships.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

First: They only just got that stipend, and they only got it after dealing with multiple lawsuits.

Second: It’s not compensation that they can negotiate.

Third: Correct. Most athletes aren’t generating profit. That’s because they’re amateur athletes. They’re not supposed to be generating profit. The basketball and football players are generating profit. Which is why they should be able to earn their market value.

Fourth: Great. And I’m sure they would be even more thrilled if they could negotiate higher compensation and had rights to their likeness.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If it’s an industry where that is the goal, then yes. What’s wrong with that?

If the D-I schools and the NCAA want to change their priorities, then they can use the Ivy League/D-III model. If not, then they shouldn’t complain when everyone else wants to profit too.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Dutch marks or dollars?

American Express will do nicely, thank you.

exmediahack likes this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's a similar situation with golf. The pro at the local muni was hired by the same SWAC school, pretty much because the team had an opening and they practiced at his course anyway.
    Drafting off that tennis story, I talked to him a little bit about golf recruiting. He got more Americans than the tennis team, but he certainly wasn't getting elite players and he had no recruiting budget. It was much the same as the tennis coach, where they swapped some messages and phone calls, maybe he watched some online footage of their swing, but he had no way to visit them or verify for sure if they shot 85 or 75 at most of their tournaments. He also would start recruiting a player and then get ghosted, possibly after they figured out that the school was located in the middle of nowhere.

Flip Wilson likes this.
  12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I wonder if most high school tennis teams were like my son’s. The roster was mostly the smartest boys at his school who weren’t very athletic but were seeking a sport to put on their college applications.

There were some good players, but none elite and unlike some of their football counterparts who will go anywhere to keep playing, these boys weren’t going a Cal State to play when they’d been accepted into UCLA or Cal.

It’s the reason community college tennis and golf coaches have a hard time getting players. Those high school teams are filled with the smarter students who put academics ahead of sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted