1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Furman just cut it's men's lacrosse and baseball programs.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That news about South Carolina ending classes at Thanksgiving because it expects a surge in C19 puts athletics in an odd spot. Tough to keep the athletes on campus and non-social distanced when everybody else is sent home.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You're assuming that these guys are interesting when mic'd up and that the TV talking heads won't blather right over them. As we've seen a few times now, both can be big asks.

We'll find out at Colonial how much crowds are really missed. I think they will be from a broadcast perspective.

4. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I could see it even happening to baseball and softball. A season or two full of multi-team double elimination or round robin tournaments where they are playing two games a day and eliminating those mid-week series.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I presumed it's meaning live videos of in-stadium shots, because they tend to make people crowd together in clowning around?

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Not even a "Get in the hole!"

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Like the rest of the campus, Furman's baseball stadium in beautiful. Leo Mazzone was a special advisor to the program.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I fear Furman is only the first of several schools to whack the lacrosse program. So many Southern schools have started the sport in recent years. It was a great trend. Unfortunately, the youngest program is the easiest to kill off.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yeah, son of a friend accepted a scholarship to play lacrosse at Mercer starting next school year. This is a bad omen for him.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You'll probably see the same trend with baseball at northern schools. California almost killed it a few years ago and only brought it back after making a CWS run that charged up the alumni. I could see them using this as a reason to pull the plug. Probably some smaller conference schools in the Mountain West and MAC that would look at doing away with it as well. I think Boise State just started up a program a year or two ago, so if they haven't invested too much into it yet it would make sense to eliminate it before they do.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Amazing that the University of California would consider cutting baseball. I've been there and it's not a great facility. Cramped, etc. But wow.

Draft saved Draft deleted